Ok, lets move this along. In preparation of the hunt, I had been given pictures of a ram from Travis that the hunter last year did not harvest. For simplicity, we called him "Bruno" and his buddy "Stubby" and both rams appeared to be class 4's. After breaking Bruno down with Troy and Travis, we felt this was a good bench mark to have especially for this unit. The plan was to locate Bruno but continue looking for that sleeper ram. Through additional conversations, we had confirmed this ram was alive and frequented the mesa with his buddy . During the aerial survey conducted by G&F, Bruno was confirmed to be alive and well with Stubby.

post-2255-0-44376800-1419280030_thumb.jpg

Definitely good news with the past Lion predation problems in the area. With just one tag in my unit, I just needed to be patient.

Friday before opening day we had camp set. My Family and my good friend Rob Ruppart joined me for a day of scouting. We spent the morning in 44BN viewing sheep hoping to see "Rocky" that many were talking about. After a quick bit of lunch, we headed to a quick location with plenty of country to glass. As the shadows began to grow, I spotted a young ram to the West. Rob and I viewed him for a while before stretching our eyes South to the Mesa. We were discussing sheep habits and various scouting trips when he picked a ram up feeding out of a drainage. With a few directions, I was able to locate the rams. Upon initial inspection we had "Bruno"! I took a few pictures and we headed to camp to show Travis and Troy.

post-2255-0-31797800-1419279906_thumb.jpg

On our way back to camp, my daughters and I came down with food poisoning. Thank God for campers and a few amenities I usually don't have when I am hunting. None the less, this proved to be another bump in the road of a great adventure. I was able to show Travis the pictures and we decided more pictures were needed as he said "But don't bump the Ram"!

Due to the 2.0 miles of distance and shadows a little closer look for better pictures was in order. I could not believe my luck to have a ram we had hoped to locate. Now we could continue to look to find or decide on the ram we truly wanted. I had spent 6 scouting trips locating access points and familiarizing myself how to glass the country and never thought we would find him this soon.

The next morning, I gathered the energy to head out and collect the pictures of our rams. Once the rams bedded we headed for camp to discuss our findings and Rob had to return home. At camp, it was quickly decided Travis and friend Randy Johnson would accompany to see the larger ram. That evening, Travis quickly located the rams but they had moved over a mile East during the day. We were not disappointed as the group of 3 was now 5 and from my perspective this could be an opening day shooter. We watched the rams butt heads and kick as the group decided pecking order.

post-2255-0-90930300-1419279935_thumb.jpg

I was hard to contain myself as I listened to Travis and Randy talk about the rams and size the largest ram. I could sense some excitement in both of them as to the potential this ram had but was trying to remain grounded with my emotions. Thank you guys for not telling me his true size! I am sure they new but did not want to get in my head. All I knew was each time I would see him that this is "the" ram. We returned to camp to show Troy the new findings and instantly the demeanor changed from possibly a shooter to we need to harvest this ram! Numbers like 35 but more like 37 and heavy at the 3rd quarter... turn up of the horns and below the jaw. "He is sneaky" big. To say the least, I was no longer on this planet. I had become suspicious we had found a GIANT and it was not "Bruno". I had little reference to a ram of this size but now witnessing Travis, Randy and Troy. No way guys, it is time. "One ping" as I was told....this is for [A SB] but is very appropriate. As I always hope for a single shot. We were to watch this ram and harvest him opening day.

Sunday Morning found Randy Johnson and I began watching the rams from the same vantage point we had used all weekend. Gathering more photos as the rams had moved marginally over night but appeared to be heading West again with a new member to the group - now 6. It was at that point, I realized that Randy and I have many similar interests including shed antlers, back packing and "The Buck of Justice"! When I realized this, I almost turned my tripod over! This was just another surprise this adventure held. The rams appearing to be content and ready for afternoon slumber, Randy and I returned to camp where he pulled his laptop out so we could begin comparing this ram to harvested pictures he had. I turned out to be awesome! We compared dozens of pictures of know score and configurations to this ram..... the results remained the same no matter how he compared. He is big! More importantly, he is the right ram and had the look I could only dreamt of finding or placing a tag on.

Sunday night, Travis and I returned to get a closer view from a different direction to the East As the hours passed and no sheep, I began questioning why I left and returned to camp (this sentiment was confirmed by Travis). At dusk we decided to quickly move back to our original vantage point West of our current location. With fading light and complete silence, I spotted the group of rams emerge from a low shallow draw. I thought I heard the heavens sing! The rams had move again 1.5 miles West during the day. All is well again in sheep utopia, but due to the low light no more pictures were captured, but one thing is for sure "He is the ram". Upon our return to camp, both hunters were anxious but ready with only 12 hours to go. Vince was hopeful that "Rocky" would show again and I hoped the bachelors would just stay put.

post-2255-0-69224600-1419279676_thumb.jpg

Opening day, was quick. We arrived at our vantage point. We quickly settled in and the rams had not moved over night. It was confirmed there were 7 rams now and the head butting commenced. The large ram was by himself up hill from the others - as usual. We moved across the drainages quickly closing the distance leaving [A BS] as eyes in the sky as Travis fully trusted his directions if needed. We were all focused and the 1400 yrds went by quickly. As we crested the ridge we realized that we needed to drop into the drainage to come in below the sheep and shave off 500 yrds. We dropped unnecessary gear and I gave Travis binoculars and range finder as I did not want unnecessary distraction before the shot. Travis paused so we could have a moment of silence and prayer. Once in the drainage, we carefully moved to 338 yards. I was able to lay down and make the appropriate adjustments to the bipold. Upon initial view through the scope, he was there! Broadside and looking in our direction. I adjusted the scope to 14X. Noticing a dark spot above his elbow I told Travis I was ready and going to shoot. Travis asked how he looked and he thought this was a great ram. All I could reply was that he looks "Bad". At the shot, the large ram stood there as if nothing happened. "One" ping? Travis urged me to reload as I might have missed. The ram took 3 steps and appeared unaffected by the hit. At his fourth step, I had him in the scope, ready to fire and I noticed his hip dip as he summersalted backwards. It was done! 0835 on opening day. This giant took everything the 150 gr. 270 wsm could give. "One Ping" Dino!

post-2255-0-17322200-1419280603_thumb.jpg

post-2255-0-51983100-1419280501_thumb.jpg

post-2255-0-42218400-1419280464_thumb.jpg

This was incredible! He has matching 37" horns, 15" bases and "sneaky" big. My favorite part is that there are only 3 lower teeth left. No matter his score - he was old and beyond my wildest expectation. Perfect, right from my dreams. I don't care about his score as much as the people I shared this adventure with.

post-2255-0-95699400-1419280846_thumb.jpg

post-2255-0-37306400-1419283082_thumb.jpg

Thoughts:

These are truly remarkable animals for the environment they live. I am greteful for the help I received. Humbled by the experience and knowledge that was shared. Satisfied with my shot as the piece of brass has not left my pocket this entire month. This was "our" ram Travis! You had a hunch, I had a dream and we got lucky as we played every card we could. Randy Johnson, thank you for your time and to all involved have another beer!

Looking back. I tried to experience everyting this hunt could offer. Including G&F survey information, sheep clinic (which I won the "split the pot"), advice from others. The hunt is in the preparation and always completes my hunts through scouting, shooting , hiking - It was great! I hope others have this opportunity soon whom are waiting longer than I! At the begining Travis said, it will go fast. It did. Too fast, so fast I wanted to linger before touching this giant ram. Once we moved him and laid hands on him it was complete......finished but the party. Life has become real for me through this opportunity as the finality of life and passage of time. Each night I enjoyed a great fire with spirited talk, passionate ideas, and hunting. Happy New Year and good luck in the next draws to all! Thanks for reading.

P.S.

We will score officially score him and most likely with a previous tag holder ta boot! G&F checked in 176.5" and we had him 2 times on the hill with 2 different tapes 178+" :ph34r: .

• Like 8

The Guys at ADO Kicked Arse this year in the sheep mountains! You chose wisely on the company you kept with that tag! Congrats to you!

What a great looking ram. Congratulations on a great hunt. Watching that ram band for days on end with a whopper ram in it ....... as good as it gets. The anticipation of opening day had to be off the charts.

Congratulations Jack on your ram! It was nice to meet you in camp! Travis, Troy and Randy did a great job.

Eric

Eric, it was a pleasure meeting you! You guys have a great thing going and if things go right hopefully the Banquette dinner next year will be remembered for a long time to come.

Talk to you soon!

Swivelhead, you are right! Anticipation was incredible. Travis had to slow me down as I practically ran to close the distance that morning once we had them sighted. Without tea or coffee.... hahah. I think what made it so funny is I was usually taking my time behind Travis,(who walks fast to start glassing and to/from the vehicle), when we hiked or exited the vehicle looking around and enjoying the opportunity, but opening day was business. I have to laugh as he has teased me about my running shoes on that morning even driving. Man it was ON! We gotta get there! Oh well, just like the "pings" and Dino psyching me up for one shot.

This is what I love about hunting is we all can share similar experiences that are individual to each person unique.

Thanks guys for your kind comments!

Awesome hunt guys! Thanks for sharing all the awesome photos and breaking down the hunt for us. Pretty incredible ram too! Way to go!