Sign in to follow this  
jgabler

Truly Unbelievable!

One of my good friends shot a very nice Muley in 24B with his bow a couple of weekends ago. Well, the buck went onto the Phelps Dodge mine property and he was told to leave and that he could no longer trail the deer. He called me and asked what he could do. I then called the G & F and they said that he could go in with them to try and retrieve the buck. Since then it had snowed and rained in the area, covering all the blood and washing it away. He got to go in to the mine property to look for the deer 3 days after he had shot the buck and found nothing but tracks going every which way for 6 hours so he had given up any hope of finding the deer. The next day his brother told him that one of his friends found a buck that was dead on the mine property, put his archery tag on it and kept the deer. This would have been a day and a half after my friend shot his buck in the same area. His brother took a picture of the deer, which had the head cut off right behind the ears. My friend said that he was 99% sure that this was his buck due to the size and the stickers coming off of the sides. Anyway, this guy would not even think of giving the deer back to my friend and this guy doesn't even archery hunt. This buck would score in the low 200's as a non-typical with 7 or 8 points on one side and 6 or 7 points on the other. I can not believe that someone would even think of keeping someone elses deer like that. You know that this person only wanted the antlers since he just cut the head off without caping it. You know the deer would still be good 1 day after it had been shot with a few inches of snow falling on him keeping him cool. I'll let you all know what happens later and try to get the picture so I can post it. But what do you all think of this? It'll be a bit before I get back on the computer, but I will check back.

There are some real pieces of $hit out there......it looks like you guys just found one. Do you know know the guys name? I'm from Globe originally.

Coues7

Wow, last week a friend of mine said something that was so true, tagging another deer that is dead or mortally wounded is like buying a mount or rack at the swap meet or on Ebay and saying you killed it... its just not right.

Redman

That is a shame. A once in a lifetime buck taken right from underneath him. If it was a buck of that caliber I am sure that it is the same one because I do not think there are many 200 inch mulies in 24b

I would have tried to have gotten on but if stopped I would have contacted game and fish and tell them that I have a downed animal in the area. Maybe game and fish would feel some pity and try to help you get on.

I have a friend that shot a 6x6 roosevelt elk in oregon it made to a river same thing happend so guy down stream tagged it and took the antlers what a bunch of jokers its a shame what some people do

This is a bowhunters nightmare! Sounds like the guy is just plain selfish and doesn't deserve to call himself any type of true hunter or outdoorsman in my book.

I wouldn't recommend tresspassing on legally posted land, but I don't know if I could have seriously left a buck of that caliber alone overnight. I think I'd have called G&F and been searching with a headlamp!

This is a bowhunters nightmare! Sounds like the guy is just plain selfish and doesn't deserve to call himself any type of true hunter or outdoorsman in my book.

I wouldn't recommend tresspassing on legally posted land, but I don't know if I could have seriously left a buck of that caliber alone overnight. I think I'd have called G&F and been searching with a headlamp!

I agree. I'd be out there with my DeWalt 18V flashlight looking for that bad boy. Permission or not!

I shot an elk in 6a once and by the time i got down the hill some other hunter had it tagged already.... He told me heshot it but i was there 1st thing a.m. when i busted the herd and did not hear another shot. I went ahead and let him have it. I came back the next day and still got my 6x6

I just amazes me that somebody would want another guys kill. There are some real shallow people out there.

Mark

Thats a real shame man. Thats a once in a lifetime kind of deer. Has your friend had a chance to talk personally with the guy the tagged it?