Christian2

12a West October junior hunt

Christian:

I'm excited for any youngster that has this tag! All three of my kids (and some of their friends) killed their first deer on the Jr. hunt on the Kiabab! As you've figured-out, there are LOTS of deer there! No hunt is a guarentee though, especially if it's your first time hunting. Here is some advice;

• I would recommend you check the G&F site and get tuned-in to the Jr. Camp that is always hosted . http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/MentoredHuntingCamps.shtml Especially as a new hunter, they can & will provide you will lots of support/advice (plus usually some decent burgers/dogs)! Here is some information on that camp;

Kaibab Deer Junior’s Base Camp

When: Oct 9 – 12, 2014
Where: North Rim Grand Canyon (map)
Description: Kaibab deer hunting information and assistance, biology and habits, some food, campfire. •
Hosted by: Buckskin Chapter Arizona Deer Association •
Information: Rich Leightner, releightner@ thebigpond.com, (928) 645-9669

• As has been mentioned the deer can and will be found all over the Kiabab, especially in early October. We've had the most luck in the mid-altitudes in October (Ponderosa/Oak type of elevation....).
  • As for camping areas, we've always enjoyed camping along the 462 road. There are many 'two tracks' that head to the West off of the 462 (753, 773, 275, 462A) that run on the tops of ridges with great deer hunting in the canyons and along the ridges all along the way. That is our favorite area and has never let us down! ;) Get yourself a Kiabab National Forest map, if you don't already have one.

Sincere good luck to you on your first hunt! Be sure to tell us a story when you return! ;)

S.

:)

• Like 1

Follow the link that I posted above. It will take you to the G&F page that has the calendar. On the calendar, you will find the info on the Jr. camp, along with a link to a map!

S.

:)

Do you havfe .243 and knife?? the deer stay at one elevation. higher early like aug lower later like dec . once you find that elevation you will see a lot. over 100 a day.

From Jacob's Lake you can take 67 south any of the big parks will have deer in them early and late.The burn on the way down is great.The burn to the north on 89 is also a very good spot.If you want to go farther in take the 22 rd from 67 to the 270 south it will take to the points rds.Deer will be everywhere on the first hunt.All of the points will have water and deer plus on Fire point you just might see a buff!!!

• Like 1

Yes I have a gun and knife! Ok I will definately try some of those roads and hunt above 8000 feet! It would be neat to be able to see a buffalo! Thank you all for your help! I look forward to telling you how the hunt went!

My son got that hunt 2 years in a row... We got our deer around the burn area as you head towards the north rim.

In my opinion it's the best hunt opportunity for youngsters. We also saw a few coyotes. - so bring yourself a rifle.

Ok awesome thanks for the help I have heard the burn area is a good spot to start

Gave some info last year to a guy for this hunt. There will be plenty of does around the Little Mountain range and Pine Hollow. Also below little Mountain lower where the 423 / 235 road meet. Thats where they harvested their doe. It is more open country than up high. Hope this helps.