Norteno

What's your FOC?

My FOC "Focus On Coues". Haven't calculated my arrows on my compound or recurve. Just played with them until they shot right.

• Like 2

My FOC "Focus On Coues". Haven't calculated my arrows on my compound or recurve. Just played with them until they shot right.

Thats the main point right there...people can get too worried about the little things

• Like 1

Current set up...682 grains @ 250fps = 94.63 KE and 75.70 MO

What bow are you shooting to achieve this?

Elite energy 35

getting the same at 412 grain arrow at 327 fps @ 26.5 inch draw(85 lbs) from an omen..97 KE

and getting a full metal jacket at 470 grains at 308 from same omen ...right at 99 KE

FOC isn't everything and I agree some things are over analyzed...I just measure cut,insert and shoot...I don't do anything special to my arrows and up till this post never measured my FOC but its a great topic and interesting to see the variations of each person to achieve the same thing...

• Like 1

This thread motivated me to finally calculate my FOC...shooting 28.5" Axis N 340s. With 100gr FOC is 10.5 and with 125gr it's 13. No wonder I'm getting better flight with the 125s. I should have done this a couple years ago! :D

As for going heavier vs spine...I was borderline between 340 and 400 on the Easton chart, so in hindsight was probably a little overspined for the 100gr heads. Right on the mark for 125gr.

Now to weigh, chrono, and calculate KE. One of these days... :D

Jack- Have you had your bow chrono'd recently? Most calculators on that bow say it is not shooting anywhere near 250fps with that heavy of a head at 30" draw. If so, that is some serious KE.

Jack- Have you had your bow chrono'd recently? Most calculators on that bow say it is not shooting anywhere near 250fps with that heavy of a head at 30" draw. If so, that is some serious KE.

Actually I have...assuming the grain scale is right, chrono is right, weight scale is right, and calculator is right... keep bumping up the draw weight til you get to 250fps and I'll tell you if you are close...it's fairly easy to get a high KE...the high MOMENTUM value is what I was trying to achieve

• Like 1

We built a 660 grain arrow and shot it from a new 35 @ 29 inch draw 70 #s and got 246fps with 88.71. What's your draw Jack? Not calling you a liar just looking for more set-up info. Thx.

We built a 660 grain arrow and shot it from a new 35 @ 29 inch draw 70 #s and got 246fps with 88.71. What's your draw Jack? Not calling you a liar just looking for more set-up info. Thx.

Maybe this will help solve the mystey...

20140807_121709_zps8c2c8d41.jpg

• Like 3

Well why didn't you say so? :) now we have all the pieces of the puzzle.

Him having an 80 lb draw was the only logical explanation...you should have just assumed that.

Well why didn't you say so? :) now we have all the pieces of the puzzle.

Him having an 80 lb draw was the only logical explanation...you should have just assumed that.

Im just wondering why he is shooting what he does....maybe hunts africa once in a while?

The elites draw very smooth and have great let-off. And logical and this site do not go hand in hand all the time. I have shot both 80# Elites and Obsessions both and they draw really nice. Just can't do it repeatedly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbijDqHStbI

This video is legit as we have done it with 2 different 35s in the shop.

• Like 2

I think he has an elk tag and wants no issues with penetration. NONE! I shot a 550 grain set-up on my last cow hunt in 2007 for the same OOmph when your arrow gets there. No ?s asked

• Like 1