Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

Prescribed Burns and Closed Roads

So I went up scouting this weekend in unit 7 and our usual spot up there had a little sign on it that said road closed, fire danger. We hiked back there and there was a little stip of burn area and it was still smoking. This was in the center of a thick area about 150 yards wide, with huge areas on the East and West that are more open from previous logging and fires. The area where the burn was was about 25 yards wide and about 2 miles long up to the base of a mountain.

I'm curious how you guys think this will affect the wildlife in the area. Also, if you think that road will be not "closed" come next weekend. I didn't see any real reason the road would be closed as it was still in great shape and the burn was basically finished (just smoldering a little in spots).

The burn will do nothing but good for the area. If your hunt is later in the year it will be good. If you are expecting it to be good this weekend that is a toss up but more than likely the area around the burn will be good but of course not the burn itself.

• Like 1

I hunted 7w a few years back while there was a prescribed burn going on. It seemed to have very little impact on the hunt. I actually saw elk bedded down in the area they were burning. As far as I can remember all roads where open.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I saw some elk in the area while scouting, so that's encouraging. I'm talking about for the archery hunt. Hopefully the smoke will help work as a cover scent. We will see.

It won't have any affect other than the road may still be closed. Deer and Elk move back into the black right away and this small area will not be any different.

I agree with everyone else, it should affect things very little. If there is some rain shortly after the burn, then there will likely be a quick green up and deer and elk like to take advantage of that fresh growth.

I've seen deer in an active prescribed burn that was still smoldering and they were eating something right in the black. Figured they had to be eating charred wood and plants. Maybe it helps settle an upset stomach like a person eating charcoal tablets?

I was heading up to 7 also on thursday..This was the first weekend I didnt Go up ,,,,,Is it the far south west part under the burn or a new spot????? you can Pm if you want..

I know exactly where you're talking about because I had a camera in there and couldn't get to it for weeks!

Lucked out though, it didn't melt! I have bulls on camera in the smoke so I think no big deal... My two cents