AZ Ground Pounders

Philip Barret's 2014 Auction Tag Coues Buck

Incredible buck! Admirable effort to finding and keeping tabs on him.

But one point made me laugh, "official gross green score". No such thing. Nothing is official unless scored and recorded by an official measurer and that can't happen until after 60 days. As for the 902 yards part... biting my lip.

• Like 1

Me mad? No, not at all. Incredible buck. But as an official measurer myself (P&Y) it does irk me a bit when people change the process into something that it's not. There is nothing official (even if scored by an official measurer) until the animal is recorded. And certainly nothing at all official about a green or gross score. State the green/gross score if you want, but don't claim there is anything official about it.

Now sad, on the other hand, I might be, just a little bit for the buck and the manner in which he was killed, but that's just me. I'm not personally into the long range shooting thing. Don't care to start a debate. Fine if it's your thing, it's just not mine. And yes, I hunt with a rifle too. I'm not just a bowhunting snob.

Congrats to the shooter and the crew. Glad it made them happy. Amazing animal!

• Like 1

SDHNTR Sorry about the confusion. We had the buck scored by two official scorers one SCI and the other Boone and Crockett. The scores that they came up with are definitely green scores and there is nothing official about a green score with either. When the buck dries it will probably be entered into the SCI Books because the buck is going to be mounted with the velvet on.

As for the long range shot we believe in our equipment, preparation and knowledge of shooting to give our clients the best chance to harvest their animal with a humane kill. With the equipment that we have a shot at this distance can be very repeatable if the conditions are right. We practice long range shooting and have made serious investments in our equipment to ensure that we have the best opportunity to make a clean shot at any distance.

Thank you to everyone and we look forward to finding more trophy animals for our clients everyday!

• Like 3

When the buck dries it will probably be entered into the SCI Books because the buck is going to be mounted with the velvet on

Does BnC not accept velvet horn? Or will the buck just score more SCI?

one of the best clues I've ever seen mounted or dead. incredible job is an understatement. Job well done times a 100.

B and C used to have a velvet category where the deer was printed ONE time in the book following being measured. But I am not sure if they do that any more or not. The deer were never entered all time because of the extra velvet.

SDHNTR Sorry about the confusion. We had the buck scored by two official scorers one SCI and the other Boone and Crockett. The scores that they came up with are definitely green scores and there is nothing official about a green score with either. When the buck dries it will probably be entered into the SCI Books because the buck is going to be mounted with the velvet on.

As for the long range shot we believe in our equipment, preparation and knowledge of shooting to give our clients the best chance to harvest their animal with a humane kill. With the equipment that we have a shot at this distance can be very repeatable if the conditions are right. We practice long range shooting and have made serious investments in our equipment to ensure that we have the best opportunity to make a clean shot at any distance.

Thank you to everyone and we look forward to finding more trophy animals for our clients everyday!

Was the gun owned and set-up by the hunter, or was it owned by AZGP?