almost

first coues down!

Super nice buck! Congrats

I would be stoked as well, congratulations on a great buck

Thanks everyone! I feel very blessed and super lucky to have harvested my first coues and on top of that to be such a nice buck. So I'm sure most of you are wanting the story behind it so here goes, might make some of you sick to your stomach! So I have killed a couple decent mulies with my bow but really wanted a coues this year, a buddy of mine offered to take me to one of his favorite areas and I jumped on the opportunity. I made it to camp around midnight before the opener and my friend proceeded to give me the lay of the land and how he has hunted it. He had his 12 y/o son with him that hasn't killed before so we would be hunting seperatley. After picking his brain and coming up with a game plan I was ready to roll. 4:30 am opening morning I jump out of my truck and am excited to say the least. After a quick breakfast we head our separate ways. I started heading up a finger that would eventually take me to the top of a peak taking my time as I went. As I neared the last little saddle before the final climb to the peak I spotted 5 coues on the adjacent ridge maybe 200 yards from me. After determining there were 2 good bucks in the group I stripped my boots (mistake) and pack and proceeded on the stock. The bucks were in an oak thicket near the ridge of a small saddle where they appeared to be getting ready to bed down. Slowly making my way there in soaking wet socks and now blistered feet one of the bucks skylines on the ridge looking and facing directly towards me. With no time to range I guessed the buck @ 70 and took the shot. I watched as my perfect shot went sailing over the bucks head. The buck was indeed 70 yards but he was also 20 yards above me! Oh well lesson learned . Got on the same buck in the same soaked socks and blistered feet one more time. They had circled back on me and were trying to cut behind me but I Vought them in there path. They were again on an adjacent ridge and making there way to me. I thought for sure game over. When they got to the bottom of the drainage leading to the ridge I was on they spooked do to some mountain goat cattle that sounded like a construction crew feeding there way up the mountain. Wiped my tears and headed back to my boots and much needed dry socks. Got back to camp around noon and proceeded to tell the story of the days events only to learn my partner had missed that morning on a big buck also. I was still excited to be in the deer and to have two different opportunity's. That evening was uneventful with nothing but does and a couple spikes. I had decided to head up the mountain early as it seemed the deer were headed up in the morning and down at night. I woke up again excited as could be after getting my pack and other gear situated I sat and waited for my partner and his son to wake. The sun had just started to come up when I decided not to wait anymore, I couldn't take it. I started up a ridge next to camp, again moving slow and taking my time. Not 5 minutes into it I see a deer moving my way feeding rite in my direction. I just stopped and watched it get closer and closer until I realized it was a good buck. 20 minutes later the buck was broadside at 22 yards. I took the shot and connected. I couldnt tell over the excitement if the shot was good or not but I knew he had been hit so I flagged where I shot from and where the buck was standing then headed back to camp. Nocking on my partners window in attempt to wake him he finally opens the door and says "hey". I laughed and said are you going to help me find my buck or what! Of course he didn't believe me at first since it was so early but he could tell by my excitement it was the real deal. After having to practically hog tie me from going and looking for the Buck he finally convinced me to sit down, eat some breakfast and give him time to die. An hour later we head to where I had shot him, 5 minutes later and 90 yards from camp we found him piled up. We were all excited and in disbelief at the stud laying at our feet. The following day he and I headed up the same mountain and circled back to camp with only a few does and a couple small spikes in our path. We packed up and headed home that evening. What a great trip and extraordinary memory. I wish the best of luck to all of you this season!

• Like 5