Sign in to follow this  
Edge

bore sighting

Anyone on the far west side interested in some quick cash to bore sight my rifle? Just changed scopes.

Pm me with charges and where you are located.

Thanks

Edge, if you have a level rifle vice or a card board box with some "v" notches in it, and a distance of 25 yards give or take then you can do it naked eye. Sight down the barrel, calculate your scope height and bullet rise or drop at 25 and it'll get you on target. Lots of good articles on the internets about it.

no vice

Like to get it close asap, save time and ammo, buddy

Yep, as area33 said, assuming you are using a rifle that you can look down the bore from action to crown, just point it at something about 25 yards away (it's not critical) and adjust the scope until the reticle and the center of the bore line up. It's been done that way since way before folks started selling tools to do it. Shoot it once at about 25 yards and you likely will be within a few inches, adjust the zero and move back to your desired range.

Good luck.

PS, you dont need a vise. Just a steady rest while you are looking down the bore and thru the scope. Try it at home tonight over the hood of your truck and looking at a light across the street or some such.

• Like 1

Model 88 Win, cant see down the bore.

Went by the range and at 25 yards, wasn't on the paper. Was a foot low at 10 yards but only had a half box with me, really went there to shoot an old .45

I;ve got a lazer, maybe I can aim it at the barrel 25 yards out?

You can buy a 26 yard dowel rod, or stop in at most shops. At the shop I work in, we have one. We are in ahwatukee.

L.O.L.

• Like 1

I got sticks of 25' sucker rod, but gravity is a beach, so thanks but no.

• Like 1

Ya I always do the set on table and line up on door knob or backyard with a ball.. if ya cant see down bore guess laser only alternative. good luck but even if borsighted from local sportsmans I still suggest 25yds from what ive seen with their borsighting

I got sticks of 25' sucker rod, but gravity is a beach, so thanks but no.

Yeah, lever actions like the 88, semi-autos, etc make the old school method just about impossible. Considering the joke about the 26 yard dowel rod, I suppose a guy could use a long piece of string stretched out, but it's hardly worth it with the devices available these days.

On a more serious note, I hope your new scope has enough adjustment to bring it on target. A foot low at 10 yards is 10 ft low at 100 yards. Most scopes probably dont have that much adjustment. In the old days we would have to shim a mount to get such a setup on target.

Ahh yes, thanks for the reminder and the help.

Had it dead on but sold the rifle a couple years ago and just got it back with the scope no longer mounted. Hope it aint messed up.

Thanks for all the help, folks. Mailbox is flooded.

Love,

peace,

coues

Ya I always do the set on table and line up on door knob or backyard with a ball.. if ya cant see down bore guess laser only alternative. good luck but even if borsighted from local sportsmans I still suggest 25yds from what ive seen with their borsighting

It's funny ... I've bore sighted quite a few rifles, though I am no expert. I have yet to encounter one that didn't hit the paper at 50 on the one's I've done ... even my muzzle loader. That said, I've experienced the same thing with some of the bore sighting from other big boxes ... won't hit the paper past 25 or so. It's like they don't take their time or something. It really isn't that hard.

I guess you could always get a stinker in the bunch ... but I've seen more than one from the big boxes.

This was too easy to set up. Put the M88 on the nightstand and shined the laser level in on the firing pin. Aimed at a wall 52' away and set the cross hairs about an inch and half below. I'll set it up tonight and zero in on something 100 yards out on the vacant neighbors place. Laser is too weak to see 100yards in the daylight.

post-11051-0-64870900-1410200552_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-88902700-1410201122_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-34646700-1410201222_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-17807200-1410201342_thumb.jpg

• Like 2