Lance

40% less elk/antelope applicants!

I heard a rumor filtering out of the G&F that there were 40% less elk and antelope applicants for the AZ draw this year! :blink: Anyone else hear this? 40 % is a big number and could make a big difference! ;)

Lance

also the best rumor ive ever heard. i also dont doubt it! witht he draw being moved up so far (about time AZGFD did something that actually made sense) i do not fathom it hard for people to miss it. talked to some out of state guys i know and about half of them missed it.

I don't know about 40%. That doesn't sound right. Everyone I know that always puts in, put in the year. Even a few of my friends that never put in..... put in this year. I would belive 10% and even 20% but 40%. Either way I am happy. Sounds good.

I heard last year,there were 100,000 apps for all elk,antelopes tags. this year there were about 51,000. maybe the after x-mas bills came in and many on the fence hunters could not afford it <_<

So much for hunter opportunity. I knew their outrageous price increase would turn people away. Sad fact is, most parents that could not afford for everyone to apply, probably decided to not apply their kids for hunts rather than sacrifice their own application.

Who the blank is going to shell out $121 dollars for a limited opp archery cow hunt?

I hope the deer draw goes the same way......

Couldnt have said it better myself!

Maybe i can find my first December 36b tag!

Well moving the Application date up and raising the tag fees 70% certainly had a double whammey effect.

40% lower applications? I believe it. :unsure:

It will certainly be interesting to see if other neighboring states pick up more Antelope and Elk Apps from those who would have normally applied in AZ, but did not like the hefty tag increase or just missed the earlier deadline.

Good luck to all those of you that met the deadline ;)

hopefully it is true (from a draw odds perspective). 40% is a big number though. unfortunately, if it is true, it will just mean less revenue for the department which will probably then put them in a hole. that will result in even more knuckleheaded ideas to increase revenue - OH - I mean OPPORTUNITY. sorry for the slipup there, dont know what I was thinking. lets see what kind of unbiased ( ;) ) survey questions they can come up with for next time.

I did talk to two residents yesterday that missed the elk/antelope app deadline and then one more today. the first two thought it was also for deer and were pleasantly suprised to find out it wasnt. later. CB

I didn't miss it...hope I draw one of your precious tags :P

hopefully it is true (from a draw odds perspective). 40% is a big number though. unfortunately, if it is true, it will just mean less revenue for the department which will probably then put them in a hole. that will result in even more knuckleheaded ideas to increase revenue - OH - I mean OPPORTUNITY. sorry for the slipup there, dont know what I was thinking. lets see what kind of unbiased ( ;) ) survey questions they can come up with for next time.

I did talk to two residents yesterday that missed the elk/antelope app deadline and then one more today. the first two thought it was also for deer and were pleasantly suprised to find out it wasnt. later. CB

I have a friend that missed it too.

They should not be hurt with 40% less applications since the draw rate was so low anyway.

When they moved up the dates, the department probably figured that they would have a substantial loss of apps anyway.

They don't do anything without looking at the financial impact angles over and over.

It just means the lucky ones that did apply in time will have a much better draw chance.

When they moved up the dates, the department probably figured that they would have a substantial loss of apps anyway

come on you should know better than that!!! that means AZGFD would have used their brains! we all know better than that!