Lance

40% less elk/antelope applicants!

I would be willing to bet that anyone with any substantial points didn't miss out on getting their apps in on time. The biggest group of hunters that won't be putting in is the nonresidents with only a few bonus points and the resident weekend warrior types.

"Here are the numbers from inside G&F. Total apps this year were 139,138(102,325 elk and 36,813 antelope) last year was 134,088(102,653 elk and 31,435 antelope). " This was posted on azod and MM

Hopefully we can get AZ draw results before NM apps are due April 7

RR

Why would Antelope apps increase by 14% and Elk apps basically stay the same?

Why would Antelope apps increase by 14% and Elk apps basically stay the same?

I have heard rumors that antelope in AZ will be like the Bighorn Sheep meaning that once you harvest one thats it no more antelope in AZ for you. Not sure if that is true though.

Gee that is a 4% increase in applicants. So much for the theory that higher license and tag fees will keep people from putting in. Can you say fee increase for 2008 and so on forever. Who says that hunting is dying and that we need to promote it? Once in a lifetime antelope? Sure. In a few years it will be, "once in a lifetime Bull tags" and maybe someday for my kids "Once in a lifetime Buck tags." Introduce a new person to hunting it will help protect our sport :huh: .

Bob

Introduce someone new to hunting. yea right. why? so that way you could at least know someone that got drawn cause it aint gona be you. :lol:

"Here are the numbers from inside G&F. Total apps this year were 139,138(102,325 elk and 36,813 antelope) last year was 134,088(102,653 elk and 31,435 antelope). " This was posted on azod and MM

Hopefully we can get AZ draw results before NM apps are due April 7

RR

Thats exactly what game and fish told me yesterday. DAGNABBIT! :angry: :angry:

I don't understand all feelings about too many people wanting to hunt. Sure, it makes it hard get a decent tag, but on election day and when we are calling for people to send messages to those in charge about hunting related issues, we need as many voices as possible. You can't have it both ways.

Kind of like the people that want to hunt public land for free but don't want anyone else in their spot.

I do understand the concern about rising prices though. The G&F are likely to keep raising the price until it has an effect on applicant numbers.

I really do hate peeing in everyone's corn flakes, BUT... Getting drawn will only get worse from here on....AND.....The non-hunting public in this state will continue to dwarf the hunting public from here on.

Count your blessings - appreciate every tag you get!

Mike

what about frootloops? man, i got ahold o' some o' them that were plum bad the other day. Lark.

Thats a bummer on your fruitloops there Lark, aint nuttin better than a big o bowl and beany and cecil in the a.m. :P

I don't understand all feelings about too many people wanting to hunt. Sure, it makes it hard get a decent tag, but on election day and when we are calling for people to send messages to those in charge about hunting related issues, we need as many voices as possible. You can't have it both ways.

That is my point. We can't have it both ways. The more people we recruit to hunting will mean the less we will actually get to hunt. This is due to the limited amount of tags. Archery bull tags are once a decade now. Antelope are once every 100 years. This year I believe they reduced archery cow tags by 50% across the board. More hunters and less tags mean less hunting. Oh, by the way, are we not the fastest growing state in the USA? What will the odds be when we double the amount of hunters in this state? This is why GF will be able to raise prices significantly without seeing any drop off in applicants. In 20 years, hunting in this state will be only for the extremely wealthy, much like Europe today. I agree we need more hunters on the first Tuesday in November, I just wonder how much hunting we will be actually protecting when we vote.

Bob

Desert Bull, have you seen any bears yet?