CouesWhitetail

From Table to Able: Combating Diseases with food

As I have been losing weight to get in shape for hunting, I have spent a bunch of time learning more about nutrition.

I was surprised to learn that some diseases like heart disease, cancer and diabetes can be not only treated but reversed by a diet high in nutrition from veggies and fruits. Turns out the best way to lose weight is the same way to prevent and treat our biggest killers.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/from-table-to-able/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8ovk81nNM&list=TLdYr0Gfp5_FB-XTHvjGXR4LisPA2dqAXe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZuuQ_yF_YU

• Like 3

That's a good source of useful information, thanks for sharing. We as hunters are lucky to have a great, organic meat source. If we paid attention to our sources for grains, fruit and veggies we would be in great shape!

• Like 1

Amanda, If you haven't already started, add juicing to your diet. There are some great recipes online that are pretty good, but I usually add some type go fruit juice to mine to make it taste even better. Not only is this very healthy for you, but it helps a lot in weight loss. I found a nice juicer at sears of all places that wasn't to expensive and works great. Juicing is a quick way to get vegetable nutrients into your body. David

• Like 2

That's a good source of useful information, thanks for sharing. We as hunters are lucky to have a great, organic meat source. If we paid attention to our sources for grains, fruit and veggies we would be in great shape!

totally agree that as hunters we are so fortunate to have an amazing source of meat available!

Amanda, If you haven't already started, add juicing to your diet. There are some great recipes online that are pretty good, but I usually add some type go fruit juice to mine to make it taste even better. Not only is this very healthy for you, but it helps a lot in weight loss. I found a nice juicer at sears of all places that wasn't to expensive and works great. Juicing is a quick way to get vegetable nutrients into your body. David

I love juice (carrot juice is my all time favorite) but I dislike the waste of all the remaining parts of the veggies after juicing and having to clean the juicer afterward. So I have moved more to blending so I can retain all the fiber and other nutrition found in the main body of the fruit or veggie and it's much faster cleanup.

I made an amazing salad dressing yesterday using carrot juice. If you haven't ever made cashew cream in a blender, you are missing out. Take a cup of plain (unsalted, unroasted) cashews, a 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup or more of carrot juice and blend in a blender for a minute or two. Can be used as topping for something like cooked broccoli or as a salad dressing. It's super creamy and tasty. I added chia seeds and a few dates for extra nutrition (and the dates sweeten it up too). And you could add any spices you like. But it was super tasty as it was. Cashew cream is super versatile too.....you can make almost any type of cream sauce with it....chipotle cream for pasta or veggies, or make it into a sweet desert by adding nutmeg.

our diet has pretty much been wild game and fresh vegetables since Cheri got sick, we believe it has something to do with her still being around

• Like 2

this is good timing on good info as my dad just had a heart attach on Sunday!

Make sure you check out the NutritionFacts.org website video link (the one not auto showing as a video player, but showing as a link) as well as the PBS one. Good, science-based info there on treating and preventing heart disease.

While it is extremely important to be mindful of what you eat, anyone who quotes Dr. OZ as a reference is a quack in my book. Clean eating with little to no processed foods along with regular exercise is the key. There is no such thing as a 3 step program, magic pill/supplement etc. Be careful where you get your information.

I feel so much better when I juice in the mornings. Pain in the butt, but worth the effort. I need a better juicer to make it easier.