ivhunter

Elk in Blythe, CA??

Here is a photo of the bull. I was told he is the only bull in a group of 15 elk and they are in the Blythe, CA area along the Colorado River. There is also reports of a lone cow elk near the CA/NV border on the west side of the River south of Laughlin, NV.

post-452-0-90566900-1411273943.png

• Like 2

I farm on the opposite side of the river south of Poston, near Blythe. I had been hearing rumors of "this elk" in the area, of course i thought it was a bunch BS and everyone was making it up. That was two months ago, yesterday i was driving thru the farm and came up "the elk" i had been hearing about. It fell in the irrigation canal but was still in great shape. I had some help getting him out and then let him go on his way. It was a small rag horn but no the less, an elk in the middle of the desert. I think it must be a 100 miles from home. Never thought i would see that....

• Like 1

Poston is ~50 miles from Alamo... maybe we'll have a huntable population (non-limited) in a few years..... instead of talk of monster desert mules we'll soon be talking about monster desert elky..... ha!

Some very bad info all around here.

If an elk was spotted near Blythe, I would guess it migrated from the Alamo lake herd and is on the Cibola wildlife refuge which would make a wayward elk quite happy. More than likely it was a deer, tons of them there. Many of my CA friends don't know the different between an elk, caribou, moose or deer.

CA is the only state in the country with 3 species of elk.

Tule Elk, smallest species of elk in the country with totally different antlers. A 500 lb bull with a 300" rack is a big one. We killed a 320 class bull a few years back.

Roosevelt Elk which get huge, but not giant racks.

Rocky Mountain elk just like the ones in AZ.

CA has great elk hunting if you ever can draw a tag. I killed a tule cow years ago, only tag I ever drew.

• Like 1

Pics hadn't loaded yet. Definitely elk. I could easily see them living along the river.

sweet so the chupacabra does exist.. lol.. hopefully in the future we can get a D12 tag for ELK! :P

• Like 1

I'm sure the farmers will find them unwanted pests and " get rid" of them before any huntable numbers of them are available.

• Like 1

Well here is the pic...

Well clearly he is not so sure about the temperatures in his new home, poor thing got so hot and miserably he is trying to drown himself!

• Like 1

Does anybody have the pic of the bull in the creosote flats near Tucson from a few years ago? Crazy critters get around.