I never really cared for the guy. Big sponsorships and good outfitters don't make you an expert hunter, only famous.

This is really a good article in proving that all firearm owners need to stick together. I don't personally care for the military

style of firearms, but I do respect our right to own one. The NRA and Outdoor Life handled this one perfectly.

I don't own any firearms at all anymore, but respect and value our right to keep them. Sportsmen need to stick together as ONE group, not divide ourselves into smaller categories and that's exactly what voicing opinions like that does. The anti's love getting their hands on fodder like that. I think he's entitled to his own opinion, but should be smart enough to keep it between himself and his friends. Don't put it in print for all our opponents to gobble up. Bad form, Mr. Zumbo.

I may be opening myself up on this one but I don't think a man deserves to have his entire career taken from him because of one lousy opinion.

A 40 year NRA member and they are going to chew him up and spit him out!

Jim made the mistake of breaking the ''live and let live rule''.

It is not right for one man to decide what is right for another.

But what statement is the NRA, the Outdoor Channel, etc., etc. making by their reaction?

Agree or disagree with Mr. Zumbo's opinion, I believe we should let him live.

It was his first ammendment right to say what he said but he just worded it wrongly. He made a mistake that he will never be able to take back and we lost a great writer and outdoorsman due to it. One of his articles about a coues hunt in Arizona back in 1993 was what got me involved into coues hunting. He will be missed by me and many other outdoorsman.

He has probally done more good for hunting then bad.The one thing that I have liked about his shows are that he eats the animals that he shoots.It is bad that one slip of the tounge could wreck his career.I used to like Ted Nugent,but after seeing his reality shows I think I would rather have Jim Zumbo.

Noel

If Jim would have refrained from using the word "terrorist", I think OL would have let it slide.

KP

Here is what Zumbo has to say:

The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I’m told, has never before been equaled. I’m not proud of that.

Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I’m not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don’t want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can’t believe I said the words “ban” and “terrorist” in the context that I did. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I’ve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I’m almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America’s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I’ve ever done. But what’s different now is that I’ll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about “black” rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I’ll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I’ll order one. The NUGE (Ted Nugent) has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15’s, and I’m eager to go, and learn. I’ll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there’s no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I’ll repeat it. I’m willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you’re willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this.

Jim Zumbo

What weapon's do terrorists use? Never seen a Remington 700 in Bin Laden's hand. I think Zumbo's only mistake is actually apologizing. Come on Zumbo stick to your guns. This is the worst thing that could of happened to gun ownership. How is this 'fascist like' follow the party line overreaction going to look like to the general public. Will gun owners now be refered to as "GUN JIHADISTS" in the media? You have a different opinion and we destroy you. Please. This is not good public relations. I have a feeling Zumbo will land on his feet and still work in the hunting media in some capacity. I also believe that the NRA could lose significant membership if they are seen as BLACKLISTING their own loyal members for a differing opinion. Does the NRA want all gun owners as members or only the one's with the Terrorist Rifles?

Bob

This is exactly why for years now I have refused to join the NRA.

Thanks but no thanks.

I think we have common goals but a very different way of achieving them.

They say the only way to achieve our goals is to unite and stand strong.

My friends are more important to me than anything else.

I would not sell out my friends for anything.

How am I supposed to stand next to someone who's just waiting to stab me in the back?

This is exactly why for years now I have refused to join the NRA.

Thanks but no thanks.

I think we have common goals but a very different way of achieving them.

They say the only way to achieve our goals is to unite and stand strong.

My friends are more important to me than anything else.

I would not sell out my friends for anything.

How am I supposed to stand next to someone who's just waiting to stab me in the back?

I agree with your sentiment, but at the same time I think that the future of hunting faces some very real threats and sportsmen can't afford to draw a line between each other. The NRA (& everyone else for that matter) may have over reacted, but I think that they were right for sending a strong, and immediate, message. I've also read many of Mr. Zumbo's articles and don't feel that one incident should devalue his experience and knowledge. Hopefully another publication will pick him up, and this time around he'll keep those kind of opinions where they belong - within close company.