Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Blue Grouse Hunting?'s

Every year I see Blue Grouse on a hike we do. Looks like they are in season now and I'm thinking about packing a shotgun with me in case we see more this year.

I picked up a old light weight breakdown savage .410 today so I could pack this into the area we are going.

Is a .410 sufficient enough at a 30 yard shot using 3" #4 shoot? The hike is about 15 miles, and this little gun weighs 4lb and can conceal in my pack easy. Last year I got within 30 yards pretty easy on these birds.

Thoughts?

used to shoot their heads off with a .22lr years ago in Wy, they aren't too bright and you can get close so .410 is sufficient

Ok thanks azslim. Another question is can you call to locate them?

They do call so I guess you could try. I didn't see that anyone makes a call for them so it may be tough.

• Like 1

They do call so I guess you could try. I didn't see that anyone makes a call for them so it may be tough.

Good to know, I've been doing some looking around and nothing yet

I would use 6's or 7 1/2's. the name of the game with uplan birds is putting a pellet in the head. Either of these two pellets will penetrate a grouse head at 30-40 yds and the capacity of a 410 is severely limited. I'd be surprised if there's more the 50 # 4's in a 410 she'll. you'll double pellet count by going down to 6's. post pics when you get them! They're amazing eating too!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info yotebuster. I went out and bought #4's, #5's, and #6's. So I'm thinking maybe going out tomorrow after work to see how they all pattern with this gun. I cut open one of the #4's to see how much shot was in the round and I counted 95 in it (11/16oz), in the #5 counted 115 on a (1/2oz) and #6 shot counted 145 (11/16oz). Ill put a target up 30 yards to see how the all do. This is definitely going to be a 24hr trip from the valley to the spot. I'll take lots of pics, and hopefully get to see some birds taking a dirt nap.

3" .410 shells? Wow, I did not know they came in 3". Mine was a 2 1/2" chamber.

As for shot size, I agree with #6-#8 shot size. #4 is like pheasant loads. Grouse are not a lot bigger than a big Gambel's Quail for the ones I have seen.

• Like 1

I've shot lots o' grouse with a bow and a shotgun. To me a .410 is ideal. I use 8 shot. 6 is fine. Light loads. Grouse are so tame that when I'd see em I'd hafta back with a 12 or 20 gauge to keep from tearing them up. Double barrel side by side .410 is perfect. Seem to like the north sides best. They aren't hard to kill. Bigger than a quail. Real good food. Real good. In Colorado a .22 useta be legal, might still be, but az is shotgun or bow only. You need a stamp too. Good luck. Lark.

• Like 1

Lark is it just the state and federal migratory stamp I need? Thanks for the info

Cool, yea I just double checked myself, thanks lance!

Just found this:

These animals are a primary small game species hunted in Arizona. Hunting small game requires only a valid Arizona regular hunting or combination hunting/fishing license. A game bird stamp, which is available free of charge at Game and Fish offices, is required to hunt blue grouse. A U.S. Forest Service Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests map is a handy tool.

http://www.wmonline.com/area/gamefish/grouse.htm

Seen them in 4a before years ago, but it was in the protected area. It was my first time seeing them and I didn't know what they were. I had to look them up to figure it out.

I got pretty close on foot. They didn't seem too bright in my opinion compared to other birds. Very cool to see though.