Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

What's wrong with my truck?

So yesterday on my way home from work my truck started to sputter a little bit. I drive a 2004 powerstroke 6.0(don't judge me.) 190,000 miles. It acted like the fuel was cutting out at first. The sputtering got worse and eventually the truck lost all power although it stayed running. I coasted until I came to a stop but kept the truck running. The truck would do no more than idle even if I floored it. I got out of the truck and noticed that white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. First thought was blown head gasket. I checked the oil and it was normal. Coolant was normal. Then the motor started to rattle so I turned the truck off right away. I towed it home and tried to start it this morning and it wouldn't start. The rubber boot on the pipe from the turbo to the cooler is torn. There Is also some oil around the turbo clamps. Is a bad turbo the cause of this or is it something else? I noticed that I used a ton of fuel going to work the last few days. I also noticed that the turbo did sound slightly different than usual a few days ago but it didn't sound bad. I'm gonna look at the turbo tonight but should I look at anything else? If it is bad Is it something I can repair on my own? I'm not a mechanic but I can figure minor things out. I need recommendations please!

Thanks,

Creed

You blew a intake boot(cac tube). 190k A little oil bypass is normal. Replace the boot. Make sure it's very tight and will hold up to high load/high boost. Drive another 190k

• Like 2

You blew a intake boot(cac tube). 190k A little oil bypass is normal. Replace the boot. Make sure it's very tight and will hold up to high load/high boost. Drive another 190k

Aren't you a Mechanic? Don't you work on YOUR FORD ALL THE TIME? LOL. You should know best then.

Was it smoke or steam? Steam indicates the EGR cooler or head gasket is probably letting loose. Coolant reservoir will not change unless it starts overheating. Common on these, my egr cooler went at 100k miles.

Bluish smoke is unburned fuel, probably injector or high pressure oil pump that fires the injectors..

I've had the turbo duct boot come off, but I just lost power, no engine rattle. You will hear the boot pop off.

Also, it sounds like a dirty clogged EGR valve. It's easy to pull and if it's gunked up but will function, just give it a good cleaning in brake fluid and reinstall. I have to clean mine every 80k. Look on youtube.

My 6.0 hasn't been trouble free but it has had a tough life pulling a 5 horse trailer for 275,000 miles

Aren't you a Mechanic? Don't you work on YOUR FORD ALL THE TIME? LOL. You should know best then.
yes I'm a diesel mechanic no my Ford don't get worked on all the time. Aren't you driving a rental right now cause your gmc lives at the dealer?

yes I'm a diesel mechanic no my Ford don't get worked on all the time. Aren't you driving a rental right now cause your gmc lives at the dealer?

Listen here numb nuts, mine is software problem not mechanical. I'll remember that when i leave you rear end in the middle of nowhere on our elk hunt.

Was it smoke or steam? Steam indicates the EGR cooler or head gasket is probably letting loose. Coolant reservoir will not change unless it starts overheating. Common on these, mine went at 100k miles.

Bluish smoke is unburned fuel, probably injector or high pressure oil pump that fires the injectors..

I've had the turbo duct boot come off, but I just lost power, no engine rattle. You will hear the boot pop off. .

I disagree abit. If your burning enough coolant to make steam/smoke it's going to go missing from some where. If your running a boosted engine with zero boost/ blown tube, you will get engine vibrations and smoke caused by a normal level of fuel injected into each cyl. But not enough air because there is zero boost. After the boost leak is repaired if it still run rough Mabee an injector but you can't diagnose an injector with a blown boost hose. When the hpop fails you will get long. Crank times ultimately a no start condition.

Listen here numb nuts, mine is software problem not mechanical. I'll remember that when i leave you rear end in the middle of nowhere on our elk hunt.

aww yes the old GM "software issue". And before that....and before that....and before that?

+1. When that boot comes all the way off or rips you will defenitly know. It makes a huge diffrence in the way the motor will run. I wouldn't worry about a little oil from the turbo either.

I just had the boot come off for the first time ever a few weeks ago. Made a loud pop when I had stepped on the pedal but truck still ran good enough with no boost to get me home at freeway speeds. I had the old plastic one. No engine rattle, no smoke.

If it's the boot, easy peazy.

However, I bet it's the EGR valve, engine will have zero power, smoke and rattle.

MPACKHUNTER, you aint even got half those parts we're talking about.. :ph34r:

Pop the hood creed, and take a couple pics of your intake and post 'em.

PS, I love my FORD Truck but you wouldn't think so by looking at it.