Sign in to follow this  
5guyshunting

ruger lcp 380

I checked out the 380 lcp today . Trigger not great, action a little tuff for my bigger fingers. The action is ok to slide a round especially if you have smaller hands. I dont know why ladies dont like it. Smaller hands smaller gun?

My female family member could not pull the slide open without great difficulty. I'm thinking it's finger strength issues? We were plunking rounds out in the forest and I watched & listened to her frustration and then watched her hand it off to a man to do and then me to do. This was not her first time shooting the LCP either. I'm relaying info is all.

PS - I'd recommend a laser if you do go with it. I do like that addition on mine.

Dynamite comes in small packages! My wife is quite the petite gal, barely over the 5' mark. She carries the Sig P238 and is scary accurate with that rig. And, like naturegal suggested, her rig is equipped with a laser. With the pinky extension 7 round clip she is not to be messed with. The P238 might cost you a few more bucks but if it suits the lady well then it is a small price to pay for confidence, and ultimately, solid protection.

Just bought the LCP myself. I am not a small guy and was pleasantly surprised at how good it fit in hand and how well it shot. I bought for a CCW pocket gun. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for anyone.

post-10848-0-64419800-1412086117_thumb.jpg

My wife didn't like shooting her lcp. Said it beat up her hand. She didn't have the racking issues naturegirl described. My wife took over my Sig P232 after the first magazine. Accurate little gun with a fixed barrel. Also it's Da/sa not sa like the 238. Not that it matters but small concealed with that little thumb safety for some is a fail.

My wife had two gun toating momma purses. Then a friend from work gave her a coach purse so needless to say she uses that for carry now.

I got hooked on the little .380 size, they make great pocket guns. I got started with the Taurus 738 TCP this is a cheap way to go nice little gun its light 8.5 oz., supper accurate and for about 200. My next gun was a Ruger LCP love this gun but it is a little heaver and I think it is better made. You can get this one for about 325. The best gun is the sig P232 it is bigger and heaver and is a great shooter and I don’t carry it as much, the wife like it the best, but won’t carry it because it heavy. The sig is about 650. Just my 2 cents.

Perhaps the Smith and Wesson bodyguard might be better. Never tried so not sure. A lot of people scoff at the 380 and while not ideal, it's a whole lot better then nothing. Especially considering how concealable it is. Buffalo Bore makes some stout hardcast lead loads for it that make it punch a lot harder.

The most important thing a personal defense gun has to do is go bang when you pull the trigger. 99% of all baggy pants punks will scream like a little girl and run away real fast if you send lead in their direction. The other 1% will fall on the ground and piss their pants. You don't even hafta hit em. Gut shoot the baddest guy around and he's done with the fight. That's why I say a good .22 is a good choice. The lcp is a good choice too. So is the lc9, lady smith, judge, 1911, etc. Get a reliable gun that goes bang when you want it too. And spend enough time with it to make it do it's job. Get something you're confident with. Lark.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments . I have the weight issue with the walther I have, so I went with the lcp if she dont like ill use it.post-8438-0-09915000-1412204074_thumb.jpg

I have an LCP, and the recoil is snappy. I bought a Kahr p380 and low center bore makes it nice to shoot, and the trigger is great for a da only.

The LCP hasn't seen daylight since I got the Kahr.

I talked to another woman in Illinois who had the same problem as my mother-in-law with the slide on the LCP. She just plain wasn't strong enough to easily rack the slide or even load the bullets in the mag.

I'll continue to relay my opinion when it is asked about the LCP, but in the meantime I am seeking more opinions (from women...not men). I have yet to talk to a woman who loves the LCP, but I'm sure they are out there. I think most of them just say "okay honey whatever you think," but that is solely my opinion.

Shes a little one and the slide is no problem. And its so light. She likes it over the walther. The laser at 30 feet is deadly. Thanks for all of the input. Lcp 380