8OWHUNT247

Is .223 big enough for deer?

I have a left handed ruger 30:06 you guys are welcome to use Remington makes a 125 grain bullet with 50 percent less powder a great

bullet for deer also have a youth model .243 that will be on 2 hunts you are welcome to use if your hunt isn't at the same time.

• Like 1

When my boys were younger, they shot the .308 managed recoil. Significantly less recoil, and suppose to be effective out to 200 yards.

Mark

• Like 1

If you want to use the 223, I'd shoot the heaviest Barnes tsx the rifle will stabilize.

I've got a 243 you can borrow if you're interested.

• Like 1

I think you are asking for trouble hunting deer with a 223. The round is very capable with perfect shot, perfect bullet, etc.

what zone? How close can you get are all important questions. A wounded deer is a much worse experience for a new Hunter than no shot at all.

• Like 2

I think you are asking for trouble hunting deer with a 223. The round is very capable with perfect shot, perfect bullet, etc.

what zone? How close can you get are all important questions. A wounded deer is a much worse experience for a new Hunter than no shot at all.

good points and what you say should not be overlooked. The potential is there with almost all rounds to be tracking a wounded animal. A good shot with a 338 at 250 yards is the same as a good shot with a 223 at 250. Don't try to push an uncomfortable shot and it should work out good.
  • Like 1

Guest wdenike

80whunt247,

Put your hardhat and flame retardant suit on. You are about to get torched by the caliber, and ethical police. :P :P :P Pay no mind. Keep the little girl in the range where she can keep them within 4'' and shoot away. Than enjoy the venison. But take every ones advice as to the heaviest bonded bullet ya can get. :D :D :D

Take care, Willie

80whunt247,

Put your hardhat and flame retardant suit on. You are about to get torched by the caliber, and ethical police. :P :P :P Pay no mind. Keep the little girl in the range where she can keep them within 4'' and shoot away. Than enjoy the venison. But take every ones advice as to the heaviest bonded bullet ya can get. :D :D :D

Take care, Willie

Willie, so far no one has condemned the .223. Of course there are better options and the original poster know that. The best option for his kids hunt is, at the moment, a .223. And so far no argument has been made about it. If it were my only option I would use it in a heart beat. Yes the heavier, more solid bullet (as mentioned) will be best.

Lance has been a sport and let me try out a box of rounds. If they fly out of rifle true, we're in business. She's a shooter and is very familiar with her rifle. The hunt is in 20a which I am very familiar with and am confident the the shot opportunities will be within 100 yards.

Thanks all for offering up the .243's, I know this would be a more suitable round but we will make due with what we have.

I love this site. The generosity from you guys is unbelievable.

Hopefully I can do my part and get her into the game. I remember going through this same feeling with my son only he wasn't nearly as cute!! LOL

Thanks again and a big thanks to Lance... hope you enjo the red stag!!

• Like 1

If they shoot well, I have more for your daughter's hunt.

If you want to grab some 62 or 70 grain Barnes TTSX, I can load those up quick for you as well.

• Like 1

We are taking six kids up on the 12aw doe hunt next week. At least one of them will be shooting the 70gr ttsx out of my 20" AR. I don't have any worries about the bullet or cartridges capabities. Either puts it in the boiler room, or you have a long tracking job....same result regardless of the rifle used.

Unrelated but I was kinda lol'ing when I was watching Yukon men or one of those shows the other day. Dudes cruising down the river for moose with an ar-15.

• Like 2

I saw that.. I thought it was a AR-10 though... Or maybe I was just hoping it was. If it was a .223, Then my worries are gone!!! LOL

well in the one where theyre going down the rive I think it was an ar15, I saw a preview for another episode and they could of had an ar-10. or im dead wrong on both accounts lol.