8OWHUNT247

Is .223 big enough for deer?

Does she have the Jr. 12AW antlerless tag in a couple weeks?

No, she wanted a buck tag and Moms elk tag is the same time as the jr buck hunts in 20A.. So, she has the adult buck tag in 20a (with her 16 yo brother)..

Guest wdenike

Not sure but I think the Game King is their heavy hitter. Don't no about the Match King though. Man a elk tag and two deer tags :D

Take care, Willie

• Like 1

I have shot 5 deer with a .223, because that is all I had growing up. I would look more at the bullet construction than at just the weight. Any target bullet is probably not going to hold together. If I was going to do it again I would use the Barnes or the Partition. I used 55gr soft nose bullets and recovered most of them in the deer. Usually the bullet and the jacket would separate.

Not sure but I think the Game King is their heavy hitter. Don't no about the Match King though. Man a elk tag and two deer tags :D

Take care, Willie

Yes, tags were good to us this year! Of course dad gets shafted, I picked up a leftover coues tag down south.. No use for it now, I got a little forkie on the archery opener.. What a great problem!!

post-9498-0-52165900-1412018494_thumb.jpg

If the overall rifle isn't to big for her, another option is to purchase the reduced recoil 308 load.

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-125-gr-SST-Custom-Lite/

I've got some of the 'managed recoil' .308 rounds that I would be willing to give you if you thought you could use them. If she is willing to give them a try.....

My daughter has killed a couple of deer, and she used the managed recoil rounds on each one of them. She is a little bigger now and doesn't have as much of a problem handling the kick of a rifle so we really don't need them anymore. I live in Central Phx. and work in North Phx. I can double check my inventory when I get home tonight to be sure of how many rounds I have. Let me know if you think you would like to take them off my hands.

S.

:)

If the overall rifle isn't to big for her, another option is to purchase the reduced recoil 308 load.

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-125-gr-SST-Custom-Lite/

I've got some of the 'managed recoil' .308 rounds that I would be willing to give you if you thought you could use them. If she is willing to give them a try.....

My daughter has killed a couple of deer, and she used the managed recoil rounds on each one of them. She is a little bigger now and doesn't have as much of a problem handling the kick of a rifle so we really don't need them anymore. I live in Central Phx. and work in North Phx. I can double check my inventory when I get home tonight to be sure of how many rounds I have. Let me know if you think you would like to take them off my hands.

S.

:)

Thanks!!! I should have looked at that a little earlier. I could have trimmed the stock up a little and had her shooting it. Thanks for the offer but maybe some other youths could take advantage of this...

My kids shot several deer,and a pile of pigs with the 223.I've also shot several bulls[cattle] weighing up to 1900 lbs with it.The only trouble with it was shooting the bulls in the ear with Hornady v-max 55 gr.It was too thin on the jacket,wouldn't penetrate enough.The 55gr soft point worked fine.Also,one of my friends kids,has shot several deer,4 cow elk,and a big tom lion in the ribs,all with one shot apiece.Good Hunting

If you are seriously going to buy these, just grab 20 of mine and try them out. If they don't shoot in you gun, bring back what you don't use.

As for the Sierra Match King construction, like I said, my daughter shot her pig in February. .224" going in, quarter size coming out from a quartering on shot. I use Match Kings for a lot of hunting loads. .250Ackley, .25-06 Ackley, .300RUM (in 175 & 210gr.) They fly great, and penetrate and expand great too.

I have also shot coyotes with them, and had all pass through with no bullets to recover, but similar results. Not explosive like varmint bullets at all.

If you want to try some 50, 55, 62, or 70 grain .224" Barnes TTSX, buy a box of bullets and drop them off and I can load up some for you. I have plenty of empty, prepped and primed brass just waiting to be loaded. It will take half hour or so to load up 20+. I have plenty of powder on hand too.

• Like 1

I've taken 5 mulie bucks with my mini 14 and have taken those bucks from 125-220 yards with one shot. The .223 is deadly.

• Like 1