runningfool

coues wilderness jan hunt

Runninfool, I was just stationed in Yuma and wore out a couple sets of boots in the AZ hills chasing Coues. If you are looking for specifics send me a PM. I have some questions for you so I can set you up better.

You will find the Coues doesnt give up his hide as as easily as his cousins to the north and east but you will be hard pressed to find a hunt that yields a better outdoor "whole experience"

I did a hunt last January, hiking a good ways into the Eagletails. Didn't see much, but good God did I enjoy it. I'm going to make that a tradition from here on out. Get out of the freezing cold of Denver to hike through the desert in a camo t-shirt? Ummm, yes please...

I did a hunt last January, hiking a good ways into the Eagletails. Didn't see much, but good God did I enjoy it. I'm going to make that a tradition from here on out. Get out of the freezing cold of Denver to hike through the desert in a camo t-shirt? Ummm, yes please...

Its hard to beat the desert in January. None censored weather, scorpions and snakes are all hold up and beautiful scenery everywhere you look. Nothing bad there.

Maybe see u there in the Eagletail mountains. Base camp at Courthouse Rock, spike camp in Petroglyphs canyon late Dec, early January

Runningfool,I don't want to hijack your thread,but if you are in fact at camp Pendleton,or service related there is the possibility of Ft Huachua.Plenty of Coues,mule deer,javelina,lions ,turkeys,varmits,and limited people.

very true, but wouldn't he of had to draw a tag earlier for deer?

He could archery hunt on the fort on a OTC tag just like any other unit. They had leftover dec rifle tags but I'm sure they're gone now. If I could pick between hunting on post and off post I would hunt off post in a heartbeat. They absolutely destroy the bucks during the dec rifle hunt on post. There is 125 tags or something like that in that small area. Combine that with having to deal with checking in and out daily I would definitely pass on Huachuca and hunt a general area elsewhere.

I parked at Courthouse as well Edge. We just might see each other out there. I'll be the knucklehead with a pack on for 6 days rations.

• Like 1

Red F350, grey stock trailer or white hoss trailer. If not there, 7.5 miles south just past 2nd water catchment, just past Indian Spring. Stop in for a cold one or a cup o Joe and say howdy.

We should watch each other s rigs. Fellow on this forum has land there and had his trailer stolen from it.

Thanks to everyone who is offering help to this guy. And that's an extremely generous offer Edge! I hope he takes you up on it and we get to see some success pics! Good luck to all in January!

Ahh heck.

Hope it works out too, been emailing back and forth with him, sounds like a great troop and avid bow hunter.

• Like 2

Ahh heck.

Hope it works out too, been emailing back and forth with him, sounds like a great troop and avid bow hunter.

This sounds like a great deal... This forum is great with people willing to help. A horse hunt would be great experience!!!

• Like 1

Well, I pointed him in the right direction but it looks like we are going with out him, he'll be hiking in with his dad.

Many have contacted us about going on horseback hunts, some are even taking riding lessons. To go along, just have the right attitude and a will to keep a horse or mule between you and the ground.

• Like 4

How long are you going in for Edge? I love unit 41 and have never been in on horse back. I have been burned on a stalk or two in those canyons to the west of courthouse rock. They love to use that ridge for escape! I can do Friday and Saturday the 30th and 31st? Let me know what you plans are, and thanks for offering up some trail experience! Stay Blessed, Ken

• Like 1

Already back from the Eagletail mountains. Heading into the Supes for a few days. I'll pm u my number.

• Like 1