AZP&Y

PECCARY-COUES LION KILL & GOULDS

The December Coues hunt came and went <_< & it was time to focus on Javelina. I have bowhunted these surly desert pigs for the past 4 seasons without success. I opted for the general tag for some increased opportunities ;) . Opening day resulted in a strong cold front and by early afternoon we were blown off the mountain. First the wind came, followed by sleet, corn snow and finally snowflakes. Just before leaving the mountain, a small group of 6 appeared and were on the move....only to vanish in the maze of cat-claw.

The next 2 days were clear bright and sunny southern Arizona winter days resulting in many hours of quality glassing! Still no pigs but many coues does' and a few smaller coues bucks.

On the way down from my afternoon glassing spot, I was traversing a ridge-line and came upon my first Coues Lion-kill. It was there maybe 30-45 days. The rack is a very nice 5x4 with some quality mass. I was grinnin the entire time as a descended the 600 vertical feet. Later that night it made for excellent camp-fire stories as the other hunters could not resist stopping to ask where it had come from?

Just before sunset, an Arizona Gould's turkey made an appearance at less than 20 yards. The picture is a bit blurry, but you can see how healthy and large these birds are...

Monday morning up and ready for the final day of the hunt. Another clear, bright sunny morning. As I left the jeep , i was working through a small wash and notice 3 pigs rooting and chewing on their morning grubs. They sensed some movement and scurry down a ravine. At this point it was time to get set-up. Out came the shooting sticks and the rest is history.

Another great time and adventure in the Arizona backcountry!

AzP&Y

Doug

post-898-1172959878_thumb.jpg

post-898-1172959914_thumb.jpg

post-898-1172959935_thumb.jpg

post-898-1172959954_thumb.jpg

post-898-1172959972_thumb.jpg

post-898-1172959992_thumb.jpg

nice going Doug!!

those Goulds sure are a treat to see.. We saw them alot this past Mearns season. Looks like they are doing quite well down around Parker Canyon..

That's what we go to the mountains for, nice job Doug!

Are the Arizona Gould's turkey only located in certain parts of the state?

I think he must be in either 31 or 29. Both have goulds.

Hey David and Single shot. Yes , they are just in certain parts of the state. I was in hunt area 33. They were re-introduced to the Santa Catalinas last January. Here is an article issued by AzG&F. Check it out, it's pretty interesting. You cannot hunt them there (yet) BUT they are doing quite well. Hopefully some day soon.

http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_459.shtml

Hunt Area 35a is the only place that i believe that you can hunt them and I noticed many Goulds when I backpacked through the Huachucas in 2005.

AzP&Y

Doug

They look like the same kind I saw behind Fort Grant about two years ago while hunting for bear. I saw about twenty birds. David

Awesome stuff there Doug! Congrats on the "stink" pig and the skull! I love the heavy horned Coues racks....what a bonus! I saw a bunch of Goulds Turkeys last year in 35B and one flock in 34A. There is several flocks that would always be out in the feilds near Patagonia every evening, beautiful birds! JIM>

Congrats, Doug nice pig and sweet find. I know the frustration of bowhunting these desert pigs I'm like 0 for 5!! Nice picture of the Goulds we also saw them in 35a. I see you put the tripod and the monarchs to good use. B)