AZHog

.270Win or Weatherby 7MM for Cow Hunt

My 12 year old daughter will be using a .270 Win with 150 NAB LRs on her bull hunt this fall. I have no concerns with the cartridge or the shooter. Just have to do my part on finding her a bull.

• Like 1

My 12 year old daughter will be using a .270 Win with 150 NAB LRs on her bull hunt this fall. I have no concerns with the cartridge or the shooter. Just have to do my part on finding her a bull.

I've been wanting to try that bullet with my .270. Unfortunately I don't reload. Are you using the Nosler Trophy Grade factory ammo?

I feel that same as most other posting. Either rifle will work. It's all about shot placement. I have successfully hunted both cow and bull elk with my .270.

• Like 1

Why waste time arguing about it. The .270 should always be your first choice in all situations. The real argument should be what kinda truck to use when you go. Dodge, chevy, ford or rice grinder? Lark.

• Like 2

Why waste time arguing about it. The .270 should always be your first choice in all situations. The real argument should be what kinda truck to use when you go. Dodge, chevy, ford or rice grinder? Lark.

Any chance you have a 7mm-08 you could borrow?

I just dropped a bull with a 130 grain ttsx shot out of my 270. Go with the one that is most accurate that you have the most confidence in.

• Like 1

We've dropped 3 critters with the 130gr Barnes out of my .270.

Big muley buck. Quartering to shot. Went in front shoulder, out the back, bullet not recovered. Dropped at the shot.

My cow elk on my U10 late hunt. Broadside, 170 yards. Broke her shoulder on my side, through both lungs, through a rib, nickel sized hole in her heart, and back out the other side. Bullet not recovered. She ran about 60 yards, but was dead on her feet.

Son's bull. 175 yards. Lung shot. Bullet not recovered. He went about 100 yards.

The 130 TSX seems "light" at first thought, but remember, these bullets hold together really well and retain almost all their weight. What's better, a 130 gr. TSX that holds together at 110 grains, or a 150 partition that retains 100? Not sure, but the differences are likely minimal. I have all the confidence I need to continue using the 130 TSX on elk.

Talking the .270 with the 130 TSX's out for my deer hunt on Friday, and will be used again on my son's U10 Bull hunt in November. I'll have no problem on either hunt reaching out to 500 or so on either animal. Shoot what you can shoot well, put the bullet where it needs to go, and it will get the job done.

• Like 2

My wife will be using a .270 on her bull hunt. She is a great shot with it and is confident with it. I have had 2 issues this year with family members trying to tell us otherwise. Her father handing her an old winchester .270 with a not so great scope to use, for the hunt cause it family heirloom. Not really a caliber thing, but more of a the weight and not familar with it issue. I appreciatte the gesture, but she really enjoys her rifle that she has had quite a few years and she is really comfortable with it. Oh and the other was my dad trying to tell us that a .270 does not have enough knock down power for an elk (When I have watched my cousin use one for years and it has enough knockdown power.) Ugh! So, regardless to say she will be taking her .270 up and I am confident if I can get her on a bull she will close the deal. Hope you get a cow and look forward to pics Mike.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine routinely kills cow elk with a 243. He killed one at 600 yards with a 243, said it went right down. I don't agree with using such a light bullet, but he's a gunsmith and excellent shot. He knows his guns and what they'll do.

A 270 is plenty for elk at reasonable ranges with modern powder and bullets. The argument of knock down power always cracks me up. A 458 win mag doesn't have enough knock down power if the shot is way back behind the lungs. At 400 yards a 270 with a good bullet hits with very similiar energy to a lot of "bigger" calibers.

• Like 1

I have to agree with Lark when it comes to a choice between the two calibers, but not about rice grinders. IMO, they don't deserve to be listed on the same line with a Dodge, Ford or Chevy.

It's safe to say that many, many more elk have been killed with the .270 Winchester than the 7mm Weatherby Magnum over the past 30 years.

However, whenever I draw tags for deer or elk, I carry my 7mm Remington Magnum. I shot a lot of game with a .270 until I built my 7RM and discovered its superiority. I retired my .270 after that.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1