DCMHunter

Unit 27 October hunt

Now that the Elk hunts are over and my wife's New England trip is over, I only have a short time to get ready for the October 24th coues hunt. I have not had this hunt before but am I familiar with the area.

My question is should I hunt hi or low? I have horses and can get off the road.

Is this a good hunt to work the waters or will it still be wet enough that water is not an issue?

My rifles are zeroed at 200 yards should I zero them out further? 300, 400??

I have archery hunted in December and January off the Blue River But will the deer be down there in October?

Would it be productive to drop down to the southern end of the unit around Juan Miller? or lower?

DCM

If your on horse back your good almost anywhere you go that holds coues in 27. 200 zero is good but be prepared to take shots 2-3 times that far if your comfortable doing so. Water is an issue in most AZ units so being near it is never bad. But there are hidden pockets all over so they may not be using water sources that are on a map. Find some land that looks good and hunt it. Being mounted means you'll be miles further than 95% of the people. Unless Scott and his boys have that hunt! Haha! They can out walk a horse!

• Like 2

Being mounted means you'll be miles further than 95% of the people. Unless Scott and his boys have that hunt! Haha! They can out walk a horse!

Two statements. Both very true.

I was just in 27 for the youth hunt this past week. It rained a ton the first 3 days we were there. We definitely saw more whitetail lower. We hunted up high and down low and found deer in both just better numbers down low.

If your on horse back your good almost anywhere you go that holds coues in 27. 200 zero is good but be prepared to take shots 2-3 times that far if your comfortable doing so. Water is an issue in most AZ units so being near it is never bad. But there are hidden pockets all over so they may not be using water sources that are on a map. Find some land that looks good and hunt it. Being mounted means you'll be miles further than 95% of the people. Unless Scott and his boys have that hunt! Haha! They can out walk a horse!

LOL muledeerarea33?

If it is the Scott I know and that you are probably referring too, they dont have tags but some friends do! LOL.

DCM.

The further you get from roads and where 4-wheelers can go the better!

So to answer your question, hop on the horse and giddy-up!

Coues can be found high or low in 27. Just pick an area and go. Generally more whitetail are below the rim than above the rim.

I would hit your Blue river spot first. They will be there throughout the year.

Your 200 yard zero is fine, just know what your rifle/bullet is going to do after that!

Water wont be an issue

Good luck!

Jeff

• Like 1

I think you'll be fine anywhere south of the rim. Was there last weekend setting up salts and cams. And there's a lot of water especially after the wallow fire. So I wouldn't be too concerned about sitting those areas. Good luck!! It's a tough hunt

• Like 1

Thanks for the information, I think I have a plan to get away from the crowd and will be hunting low to start and riding in about 3-4 miles. and spending 4 days behind the glasses. I am hoping to find good water in the area that I am going to water my horses and not have to return to the truck.

DCM

There is water everywhere now in #27 and in some places that never formerly held permanent water. A consequence of the Wallow Fire that is one of the few positives

I will get off tomorrow a bought 1:00pm and will get loaded and drive into the area. On Friday morning we will ride into the area I plan to hunt. WE are planning on staying in a remote camp and not coming back to the truck until Monday, unless we cant find water. I hope we find some big ones.

DCM