BuckNasty

1st pig hunt, 1st am

After glassing all morning and seeing nothing, my father and I decided to return to the car to drive to another location. On the way a

truck passed and said they saw 3 pigs cross the road not but 200 yards away.

We decided to give chase, not knowing if they were having a good laugh at our expense.

We thought we found their tracks and my father and I started to follow. We were 30 yards apart slowly pushing ahead. In the haste to drop off our packs

and gear I left behind my radio. Every so often we were able to see each other and signal that we didn’t see anything.

We kept going until I heard the sound of them digging and eating.

I wanted to get my father’s attention, so he could stalk them too, but I knew any attempts to get his attention would surely scatter the heard.

I continued forward a bit and caught a quick glimpse of a hog. A few steps further and they sensed my movement and scattered.

Immediately I called on my predator call. Sure enough, two pigs did a 180 and were racing towards me chomping and stomping all the way.

There I was contemplating that my brother’s bolt action, .243 with 9x scope with only one round in it doesn’t make for a great brush gun.

With the adrenaline flowing I stepped out of the brush hoping to stop their charge. It did, and at only 20 yards the scope was all javelina. When he stopped,

I fired and hit him. He slowly walked away while I reloaded for any necessary follow up shot.

My dad came over and asked what all the commotion was about. He didn’t know I had the predator call and didn’t know that it would work for pigs. He

thought I shot a coyote. To his surprise we had a javelina chomping his teeth at us just a few feet between us. A follow up shot with a pistol ended our hunt

before lunch.

I wish my dad could have been a part of the stalk and shooting sequence. Luck of the draw has allowed me to take an elk and a javelina when we both had

permits. In the least, I am glad he will get credit for a successful hunt with the extended family throughout the country who are fortunate enough to have

excellent hunting habitat in their backyards and who can’t fully appreciate the difficulties of hunting in AZ.

I know some guys don’t like javelina hunting, but calling them in was one heck of an adrenaline rush. I am hooked and I will carry a pistol next year in case

I am lucky enough to have a similar hunt. Also, thanks goes to the guys in the truck who were kind enough to share the info.

Great work, calling them in while archery hunting is the ultimate rush...you'll have to try that out someday!

I put in for archery elk, partly so that my dad and I won't have competing hunts. If I am lucky enough to draw I will buy a bow. Once I get proficient with it, I am sure I will enjoy the challenge and rush of a bow hunt.

I had more than enough "buck fever" with a rifle in hand. I can only imagine what it would be like with a bow in hand!

Congrats on the success! Seein' those pigs runnin' back at you after calling is awesome! I know guys who ask me why I continue killin' a pig every year, and they just don't understand. Hunting is hunting and it is always what you make of it....sure, once you've seen one pig, you've seen em' all, but you never know what experiences you'll have when hunting them year after year! Best of luck on your future pig hunts and again congrats! JIM>

I had more than enough "buck fever" with a rifle in hand. I can only imagine what it would be like with a bow in hand!

Be careful, once you hold that bow and wack an amimal. it is all over, all the guns will get cob webs and dust. :huh:

I put in for archery elk, partly so that my dad and I won't have competing hunts. If I am lucky enough to draw I will buy a bow. Once I get proficient with it, I am sure I will enjoy the challenge and rush of a bow hunt.

that is one problem with the system , i hate to say and be an a** but you should be proficient with a bow before you put in...cbryant

that is one problem with the system , i hate to say and be an a** but you should be proficient with a bow before you put in...cbryant

One needs to be proficient to hunt, not fill out an application. As long as one is willing to put in the time and effort to become proficient and ethical with a bow prior to the hunt that is all that matters. ;)

you might be surprised at how long it takes to get profecient with a bow. especially out to 40,50,60 yards!

I agree with you 100%, Casey.

BuckNasty,

I'd go ahead and get the bow whether you draw or not. I'm sure you've read here that the PSMathoyttech is the best bow made :rolleyes: .The 3D shoots during summer are fun and sometimes and eye-opener. Then there's archery deer season during the nice weather of September in the pines. Javies were made for archery gear.

Good luck in the elk draw. With the earlier draw, you will have 5 months to practice with a bow, plenty for a dedicated new archer.

RR

I'm sure you've read here that the PSMathoyttech is the best bow made :rolleyes: .

RR

BaHaHaHa :lol: :lol: ... That is Perfect! You da Man, RR!! :)

I'm sure you've read here that the PSMathoyttech is the best bow made :rolleyes: .

RR

BaHaHaHa :lol: :lol: ... That is Perfect! You da Man, RR!! :)

Here we go again :(