Sign in to follow this  
nw07heavy

Any advice with Wyoming antelope hunt guides?

I was wondering if any here on CouesWhitetail have had experience with Wyoming antelope hunt guides, positive or negative. I hope to soon book a 2015 for an antelope buck and doe in Wyoming. So far I have come up with two outfitters, Bear Track (Buffalo, WY), and Thunder Ridge Outfitters (Casper, WY). Has anyone here had experience with either of these outfitters, or recommend any others? Not being familiar with Wyoming, except for a few drives through the state I thought I would need a guide, and access to more available antelope buck and doe tags. Any information, and insight into Wyoming antelope hunting would be more than greatly appreciated. Almost forgot to mention, the hunt will be rifle, not bow, using a TRG42 .338 Lapua. Thanks

I have hunted WY the last 4-yrs in one of the lowest public access areas. We have gone 100% on all tags each trip. If you are not after a big trophy you can save some money and do a DIY hunt. There are a ton of antelope up there and they are not too hard to get to once spotted. The trick is doing a lot of homework on BLM Land in your unit and also keeping up to date with the Walk In Areas on the G&F website.

However, if you are trying to draw a prime area and want to make the best of it then a guided hunt may be a better route.

Either way. Good luck to you...

• Like 2

I just got back from Wyoming. If you have a gps with the Wyoming card, willing to hike and not looking for a monster you don't need a guide. Especially for does. If you still concerned, just start buying points. In 2-3 years you can draw a unit with plenty of public land.

Adam

338 Lapua...lol

Hi AverageJoe, I know it sounds like overkill, but I just don't like destroying as much meat as some of my other high velocity (3,000+ fps) calibers, or my friends, like .257 Wea, .264 Win, 7mm Rem, etc. do on a hit. My 300 grain Berger VLDs (not destructive on small animals at all) run only 2, 722 fps muzzle and are still carrying 2,000 fps 2,600 foot lbs at 1,000 yds. Just want to have something to eat, and hit a long way (praire shots) off.

Big Browns, would you elaborate on a 'Wyoming Card'? I'd appreciate any info on this. I will keep on buying antelope preference points for just the scenario you've outlined.

Bo5953, it looks like you have had great results on your D-I-Y hunts. I too, have considered these. I don't have enough experience with Wyoming, especially in any prior scouting for antelope territory. I am just now getting the hang of the Wyoming tag system. Any insight you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a card for your GPS for individual states that will tell you what unit your in and if you are on state, blm or private land. It's a must for hunting Wyoming.

I traveled to Wy this year for the first time. Get the mytopo GPS card. I was elk hunting and a little scouting for deer and antelope for next year. You do not need a guide!

I would hire Vernon Edeler if I insisted on being guided. Send me a pm if you need his contact info.

A great place to start looking for areas is here: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/plpwhmprogram/frmWalkinHuntingHome.aspx

The first year I went I was very unsure of where to go also. I bought the paper BLM maps and studied them pretty hard. My buddy bought the SD card for his GPS also which proved to be a must have. You do need to be careful though. This year I had the updated SD card for my GPS that even showed the walk in areas. WYGF had a property drop out of the program in July after the initial map release in June. They updated the website but I didn't notice since it still showed on my GPS. We went to that property on opening morning only to meet the game warden at our truck on the way out. He was good about it but it was an unnecessary meet and greet. A written warning later we went and found new ground. Also be sure you get your habitat stamp. I found out that not having it will cost you $70 but you can buy one from the warden for $12.50 once you get your ticket. Left me with the impression it happens a lot.

You have lots of time between now and next years draw to research. You'll be surprised how much you will learn between now and then. You are always welcome to pm me if you want.

338 Lapua...lol

We should send him a pic of the damage my 7 mag did with that 162 sst.

• Like 1

You can get a card for your GPS for individual states that will tell you what unit your in and if you are on state, blm or private land. It's a must for hunting Wyoming.

+1 and shows landowners. And exactly where the big bucks hang out at right on the edge of private. LOL

338 Lapua...lol

Hi AverageJoe, I know it sounds like overkill, but I just don't like destroying as much meat as some of my other high velocity (3,000+ fps) calibers, or my friends, like .257 Wea, .264 Win, 7mm Rem, etc. do on a hit. My 300 grain Berger VLDs (not destructive on small animals at all) run only 2, 722 fps muzzle and are still carrying 2,000 fps 2,600 foot lbs at 1,000 yds. Just want to have something to eat, and hit a long way (praire shots) off.

Big Browns, would you elaborate on a 'Wyoming Card'? I'd appreciate any info on this. I will keep on buying antelope preference points for just the scenario you've outlined.

Bo5953, it looks like you have had great results on your D-I-Y hunts. I too, have considered these. I don't have enough experience with Wyoming, especially in any prior scouting for antelope territory. I am just now getting the hang of the Wyoming tag system. Any insight you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck

Ant. hunt in Wyo. mite be the easiest hunt in the country. Trying to find a big goat is another story, but You still don't need a guide. Just optics and time..........BOB!

Make sure you're loading it hot if you're gonna take a borderline caliber like a .338 Lapua. Antelope are big tought critters with some big bucks weighing almost twice as much as your .338 bullets!! I would suggest bumping up to a .416 Barrett or 50 BMG to make sure you have enough KE.

• Like 1

Make sure you're loading it hot if you're gonna take a borderline caliber like a .338 Lapua. Antelope are big tought critters with some big bucks weighing almost twice as much as your .338 bullets!! I would suggest bumping up to a .416 Barrett or 50 BMG to make sure you have enough KE.

Hi yotebuster, Oooh, ouch, you got me. Thanks, I'll take your advice on this, not wanting to end up like Elmer Fudd under the hooves of a cape buffalo, or was that some goofy rabbit. I've taken the antelope threat to heart, and will have use of one discounted Abrams M1A1 tank with the 120mm XM256 smooth bore cannon, using M829A1 depleted uranium rounds. Should get the antelopes attention, don't you think? If this doesn't work, I'll need to see if I can find any of my ex-military days specialty hardware, Amazon supplied surplus Nike Hercules missiles.

Thanks very much to those of you providing information on the gps cards, especially expressing the critical nuances of BLM land, private ownership issues, habitat stamp, etc. I really appreciate it.

this yr we got 16 out of 20 speed goats, never use a guide just get your tresspass permits. YOU DONT NEED NO STINKING GUIDE

• Like 1