Bowhuntcoues brought to my attention that I left out steps 5 and 6

Only thing with step 5 is we didn't have a grill so we had to do shore lunches

100_0918.jpg

Step 6 is to kick back and enjoy the meal. This was on my birthday and luckily I had the day off. Went out and caught a nice 40 pound king and several of the other guides came down and cooked it up and had that for dinner. I am the one in the second chair.

DSCN0736.jpg

Keep em coming. I've enjoyed following through you adventure. Must have been quite the experience.

Since a trip to Alaska is not in my budget, this is the next best thing. Thanks young hunter for the awesome photos.

Believe it or not, you can go on a "bum around the Kenai" trip, black bear hunting and fishing for pretty cheap..... if you go at the right time of year and go with one or two of your hunting buddies so as to split up some of the costs. It is the best place to be, up there at the end of the season! Fishing ain't great, but the black bears are on the blueberries, and hotels are cheap. And if you have an airline credit card you build enough miles after a while to fly for free just by using it to purchase the things that you buy everyday anyhow.... gas, food, work supplies, etc. That is what I do.... in about a year or two I will have enough miles saved so that me and the Wife can go on safari in Africa and fly for free!! ;)

Disclaimer: You must pay off said card on a monthly basis or the interest will offset the the plane ticket!! :lol:

Forgot to tell all of you that for the shore lunch we had to carry in all the spices, butter, potatoes, foil, cutting board, fillet knife, foil and anything else that the client wanted to eat that day. So on a shore lunch day my pack would weigh around 50 pounds going in, normally around 80 or so coming out :D

I was only able to get 1 good photo of a black bear because every other time I saw them it was in the thick woods where I couldn't get good light or I had to draw my gun to keep the guest calm :P

This bear would always come around when we were filleting fish and later the owner actually had to take him out because he had no fear of humans and tried to break into the lodge several times.

IMGP0734.jpg

Bowhuntcoues brought to my attention that I left out steps 5 and 6

Only thing with step 5 is we didn't have a grill so we had to do shore lunches

Step 6 is to kick back and enjoy the meal. This was on my birthday and luckily I had the day off. Went out and caught a nice 40 pound king and several of the other guides came down and cooked it up and had that for dinner. I am the one in the second chair.

Great job Younghunter. We are taking a trip to Soldotna in June and I hope to be grilling the Kings just like you did. Keep up the great photos! :lol:

This is the normal amount of flies I would need to tie each night. My clients would lose on average around 12 flies each per day. So I was at the fly tieing bench all night every night.

Here is my fly box

100_1043.jpg

This is the normal amount of flies I would need to tie each night. My clients would lose on average around 12 flies each per day. So I was at the fly tieing bench all night every night.

Here is my fly box

100_1043.jpg

how much sleep you get? I would have started charging the guests some money for that lol....im sure you are a master at it now

how much sleep you get? I would have started charging the guests some money for that lol....im sure you are a master at it now

I was lucky if I got 5 hours of sleep a night! I had several weeks where I got only 20 hours of sleep in the whole week! While working the 100 hour work weeks and tying flies and trying to get some fishing in on the side. It was worth it though :P

Great thread younghunter. That sure is some beautiful country.

CnS:

Let me know when you want to organize one of those affordable "bum around" trips. It's be a dream come true just to see Alaska, not to mention getting to shoot something while there.

Since I was talking about all the flies I had to tie I figured I would show everyone the fly tying area. Look at all the pretty colors :P

100_0768.jpg

Sorry I didn't get any pics up yesterday I was at the AES banquet from 7:45 A.M. til 3 A.M. this morning.

Here is a couple pics of the sleeping quarters I had for 2 weeks. No doors not windows but a tent to keep the bugs away. Notice the new piece of plywood? I put that up because the bears and porcipines (sp?) would come up each night scratching on the building.

102_1480.jpg

102_1481.jpg

Here is a pic of some trumpeter swans that would frequent the area. Always an awesome sight to see a bird that big.

100_1311.jpg

Here is a pic of 5 trumpeters flying over head.

P6160004.jpg