Sign in to follow this  
TripleThreatKris

New to Arizona hunting. Tips?

I was born and raised in Texas and grew up hunting in the pine woods. I came to Arizona for college, and want to continue hunting deer out here. I'm looking for a few tips about hunting out here like where, good strategies, etc. and was told this was the best place to come for that. The land out here is much different than what I know and what I've hunted in the past. I'm not used to hunting huge open hill country. I'm a pretty knowledgable young hunter, but I need a few key tips to bowhunting these huge open areas. Thank you in advance!

Get good optics get up on a hill and Glass, glass and glass some more. For Mule deer concentrate on the flats and rolling hills. You will find both mulie and coues when you get up to the foothills. Get a good pair of boots and hike and get to know the unit you want to hunt. Just about every unit is open during the archery season but make sure to look at the regs, some units are closed and some are coues only.

• Like 1

Do you live/planning on hunting near Flagstaff, Phoenix, or Tucson? The higher Pines have some different tactics than the deserts...

Thank y'all for the tips. I really appreciate it.

I know the only way to get better at it all is to just get out there and do it.

I live in Tucson and I'll be hunting around here too, Sneaker. I don't know what units I'll be on yet, but I know I'll be within a hour of Tucson.

Welcome to AZ. There are pines within an hour of Tucson and you can go practice at the PSE shop. Mule deer will go into the rut a couple of weeks before the Whitetails and it will usually be on by 12/15 with the WT coming on in January.

They are a bit easier to sneak up on when the rut is going. Most AZ guys/Gals like to spot and stalk but there are those who will sit water too.

Blinds and tree stands are effective but I'd say less than 20% of the guys use them. You can't set out bait or use doe urine either but you can use salt. Deer are deer so most of your knowledge and experience will carry over. The hardest part may be forcing yourself to slow down. The AZ soil is very noisey to walk on. Early morning for a couple of hours when it is wet from dew isn't too bad but once it evaporates watch out.

On a dry clear day sound travels and travels out in the desert. I've sat up on a hill and heard every word a couple of guys said in the conversation and they were 500 yards away so you can imagine how well the deer hear. I've had deer make me at a 300 yards and freeze for a minute or two. If you don't move they will ignore you and continue going about their business.

I have to agree with the idea of using what you learned hunting deer in Texas to hunt our special whitetail in AZ. That will give you an edge that other hunters won't have.

but here is a link to some strategy info for hunting coues the Arizona way...

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/2012/05/hunting-strategies/

One of the best things about az is that there is huge variety here. A huge variety of game something like 10 or 11 different big game species. I think its five different climatic zones too, ranging from desert areas around the 1000 ft mark to alpine above tree line atover 12000 ft. WWith thAt comes the opportunity to hunt using lots of different tactics in lots of different areas.

The terrain should dictate your method. If your hunting high in thick timber or some areas that are steep, rocky and choked with brush that reeks of an ambush situation to me. Other areas are more open and have softer soil making stalking more possible. Ive done both in the same day trying to glass and stalk from morning until afternoon and then holing up in a saddle for the last couple of hours of the evening.

Welcome to the site and good luck!

There is something about Arizona and the open country. Once you learn to glass and your eyes adjust to using the binos you will find a new favorite kind of hunting besides deer feeders in texas. Nothing is cooler when you pick up deer at 1000-2000 yards out. Lots of guys will spot them out at a mile plus. The excitement starts and you plan the stalk.

The country here is very cool and unique. An awesome drive is going north on the 191 to Alpine or take the 10 into phx and head north to either Payson or Flagstaff. You will see a huge elevation change from low desert, to high desert, to junipers and cedars, to large grassy areas and then up to the pines. Enjoy arizona

I suggest going out to the Tucson mountain park archery range and using the field courses. It'll help get you use to walking in the terrain and shooting through lanes somewhat of what you'll see in the desert. Probably help with judging yardages out here as well. Good luck