Sign in to follow this  
Speedy

Best week to hunt in January?

Hey new guy here with a quick question -

Based on the rut and hunter pressure, what's the best week in January to bowhunt coues in Arizona?

Thx

The week of Jan 1 through Jan 31.

Seriously, there is always a lot of people out during the New Year's weekend, so hunting the middle of the week is what I like. But guys that have been scouting from now until Dec. 31st will get first opportunity at the bigger bucks come the morning of Jan. 1.

Good luck! Seems to be a great year for Coues antlers.

• Like 1

Earlier in the month further east and north, later in the month further west and south. These are of course generalities and it depends on the given year and weather.

Anytime you can get out there is a good time! Best of luck to you!

I see the most rutting activity during the first two weeks typically. I always plan my big spend of vacation time for that period.

I would say it depends on the year some the first week is good and some its later.I hunt mulies and coues so what ever is rutting the best at the time.

I see the most rutting activity during the first two weeks typically. I always plan my big spend of vacation time for that period.

So is there rutting activity during the last 2 weeks of Dec?????

I can only speak for what I see out in 24B, but I mostly see little bucks pushing them around in December and getting shot down. The bigger guys seem to get more fired up in early jan. But ive also seen bucks still moving with does during the ham javelina hunt in beginning of February. Who knows for sure? Not me. But if I had to pick my favorite I'll go with the first half of January every time.