Sign in to follow this  
moorehunter86

December hunt, new to coues but not to hunting

Not new to hunting but never hunted coues in December.

Have always hunted rutting mulies with a bow during December.

Son and I have drawn December rifle tag, have vortex and ziess glasses, not new to glassing. Have spotted some good bucks during other hunts. Question:

Does the rut usually get going by end of December? or is it January on the norm. I understand rut can come early or late just looking for the norm around Globe Miami area. Really looking forward to the hunt and the coues way.

No expert but i have been in that area a bit in December and I have only seen full on rut one year. Mostly they seem to be staging and rubbing but not on the does hard until late Dec or into early Jan.

Keep your eyes on the does though, i have seen alot of big bucks cruise by and check a herd for a hot doe, and if one isnt hot, or close to being hot, they keep moving to the next herd, and usually go through a circuit checking for hot does. i have seen solid bucks stay with does in december, but from what i have witnessed the real big boys bounce from herd to herd until they find a hot doe

thanks for the info. Does this pattern in December only for the mornings? do they most likely bed as usual or by mid to end December are they cruising later into the day? We will hunt a few days right before Christmas then the last days after.

A lot of the rut depends on the unit your hunting. The deer in the northern units usually start rutting earlier than the southern units. Either way you have a great tag. Your going to have fun!

What unit did you draw?

Adam

First, don't plan on rut. Maybe a little prerut, mostly by the little guys. In my experience, most of the bucks will have swollen necks, but won't be actively pursuing does.. most of the deer I've either killed or been in on the kill in December have been with or very near other bucks. In fact, the biggest buck I've seen on a December hunt was with about 19 other deer, 6 other bucks.

I will be in the unit next week helping my friend on a muley hunt. We scouted last weekend and I saw some tanks with water that hadn't held water in years past......may mean healthier deer and a good rut year. Either way, it should be fun. Last year the big enough bucks were chasing does the weekend before Christmas. Good luck and don't over look the transition areas where you find muleys and whitetail.

+1 on what casey said, and to echo what was said earlier, watch the groups of does for the occasional big buck to buzz by and check. Good Luck and don't forget the most important part of the hunt, the experience.... Daniel

I think the start of the Rut will come a bit earlier than last year but full on is last few days of December into January.

Great thanks for the help. We are excited for the experience and the time spent with my oldest boy. I did not realize how long it takes to get to december for these hunts. Have had to stay busy helping friends with elk hunts to satisfy, to a point, the urge.