Sign in to follow this  
Elkaddict

Water tank questions/ Why all the metal structure in the tank?

What are your thoughts on why a water tank is built this way. These, there are several, are in 5A on the flats. I have my thoughts , just want to see if there is a rancher on here that can give me their reasoning.

post-1600-0-65109100-1417485059_thumb.jpg

It looks like it would hinder large bull elk from drinking. I dun oh?

That is exactly my feelings, if a bull can't drink there he will take his cows elsewhere. Kind of crappy on a dry year.

It looks like it is for protection of what ever that is in the middle. Float valve?

• Like 2

It looks like it is for protection of what ever that is in the middle. Float valve?

I was gonna say the same thing, if elk get in there and try to swim or what ever, it keeps them from breaking the valve in the middle, that's why its higher than the rim of the tank. Large bulls will still drink from that, I don't see it affecting a bull elks access to that water.

Looks like it is a barrier to protect the float valve in the middle. The float valve works like the float in a tank-type toilet. If it was broken off (by elk jumping in), it would be the same as the float being in the down position, which would be calling for water. It would try to fill non-stop, overflowing the tank, washing out the road, etc. Not to mention depleting the upstream supply source, whatever that might be. Also, it looks like the horizontal arms might serve as cross-bracing, to add some rigidity to the sidewalls of the tank, and help keep them from collapsing.

forepaw

I built one much like it. Protection for the float and partitioned off. Add hot fence and that tank could service several different pastures

It's to keep the animals away from the floats that regulate the water level. I've never seen it done that way. They got creative, but I've seen it done for bears in a little different fashion.

Yes, that appears to be protection for the float. Not only did the put pipe and wire protection in, they also went to the effort of mounting the float in the center of the tank. Any large animal, including cows can break a float, but I would guess that bears wallowing is their biggest problem.