mattys281

Feral Hogs in Az!?

Last time we saw any of those Russian Boars up in 5A & 5B was atleast 8-10 years ago. But, from time to time someone says they see um up that a way.... mostly rumors. :huh:

I knew of one, saw the skull, that was shot in the vicinity of Alamo Lake about 15 years ago. There were actually two of them running with a herd of javelina. It was piebald in color and weighed about 70 pounds.

Never seen them myself but no a guy a few years back that hunted them around winslow (Chevlon canyon). He knew of a few herds of them there and killed a couple over the years. Also have head that somwehere in southern AZ there are some.

Though I am not proud of it, I have hunted hogs before, usually it's late at night just before the bar closes.... ;)

Though I am not proud of it, I have hunted hogs before, usually it's late at night just before the bar closes.... ;)

Bagged one or two of those myself. Fortunately man law 62, section 8 clearly states:

"any female companion spotted in the company of your friend upon exiting said drinking establishment after the consumption of more than 3 beverages and/or between the hours of 12:00 a.m. - 3:00 a.m. cannot be used as discriminatory evidence at a later date, regardless of age and/or what may normally be considered an "undesirable" weight:height ratio"

I didn't write the rules, I'm just playing ball. <_<

Bagged one or two of those myself. Fortunately man law 62, section 8 clearly states:

"any female companion spotted in the company of your friend upon exiting said drinking establishment after the consumption of more than 3 beverages and/or between the hours of 12:00 a.m. - 3:00 a.m. cannot be used as discriminatory evidence at a later date, regardless of age and/or what may normally be considered an "undesirable" weight:height ratio"

I didn't write the rules, I'm just playing ball. <_<

Thanks for confirming that even though it was after sunset and prior to sunrise it was still legal game. <_<

A few years back there were quite a few of them around Red Rock, I tried to archery hunt them but could never get a shot. We seen one big black one that would go 400lbs or more.

Some jackass leveled all of the habitat they were living in next to the Santa Cruz river and I haven't seen them in a while. I know of a couple of guys that shot hogs out there.

I didn't write the rules, I'm just playing ball.

phew! glad some one posted this now my buddies have to stop haning a FEW things over my head!!!

anyways, i have a buddy that i coyote hunt with that killed one, he had it stuffed. would love to run into a herd with my bow with me!

I have a buddy who has been killing hogs in 21. There is at least one big herd there and they have got on em' several times and have killed a few. There was a ranch nearby that raises animals that you can hunt, and these had gotten loose along time ago and they're still out there. They are wild and don't just sit there and let you sneak up on em'. These hogs have been a secret and some others I've heard of have been kept a secret also by those who know where they are.......it's kinda like a honeyhole for bears.....most guys will take it to their grave before giving directions! It would be cool to know where there are possibly some "big game" sized critters that you could go hunt anytime for the price of gas and shells! JIM>

Come on Jim keep it down!!!!!

Loose Lips Sink Ships...........................................

It would be cool to know where there are possibly some "big game" sized critters that you could go hunt anytime for the price of gas and shells! JIM>

That's exaclty my line of thought. It's a long time between January & the fall archery hunt, need something to take the edge off, other than rabbits. Have tried coyote calling a couple times, but very little luck there. Besided, I'd rather shoot something I can eat.

I've been planning a trip in Ca w/ my brother for a couple months now to go after some hogs, but spoke to him on the phone last night & w/ four weeks to go before the hunt he tells me he might be shipped-off to some where else before then. He's in the Marine Corp, so his schedule is subject to change by the hour. I guess if he can't make it, I'll probably check out that area around Bloody Basin that guy was telling me about. I've already bought a new backpack & taken the time off work, so at this point I'm obligated to hunt somewhere. <_< You know, whether I want to or not. ;) I believe that is also one of the Man Laws.

I heard of a herd near a ghost town called Sasco that a rancher had let loose, but the person who told me about them said word got out about them on the internet and they just about got wiped out. I have hunted the area and never seen them. I think it would be great to have huntable populations of hogs in Az. B)

My neighbor killed one over 200 lbs with his bow in unit 33 this year. He went Javelina hunting and ran acroos this big boar. Didn't see any Javelina but came home with a nice hog.

I mentioned the buenos aires because I had heard about them for years down there, but the mention of unit 21 has me curious. I had a friend a few years ago tell me to put in for javelina in there because he knew where there were some big ones, as I questioned him he told me he had seen a group of "javelina" with the biggest one being 3 to 4 hundred pounds, I thought he just exaggerated with the size. I have no doubt he seen something, so now I am wondering if maybe he seen hogs, I may have to question him again.