Kaffer62

Dads Late Rifle Bull

post-252-0-02083000-1417923081_thumb.jpg

My dad has never been someone who went after antler size. Usually the first thing he comes across that is legal is what he shoots. His biggest bull to date was a 5x5. Not a big 5x5 either. He told me before the hunt that he wanted a big bull and he was willing to go home empty handed if that was the case. With that we had our goal. We hunted hard for days until Wednesday morning. I spotted 3 good bulls going into a thicket of junipers. One was what we were looking for. We took off after them slowly moving through the thicket. We were about 100 yards apart and my dad said he could smell them before he saw him. Shortly after, he could see antlers coming through the brush. He kneeled down and as soon as the shoot presented itself, he fired. After a 25 yard shot, the bull dropped afyer 5 or 6 steps. This is by far the biggest bull my dad has shot.

I was thrilled to be apart of such a hunt. I ended up taking a spike later that evening. I was content with the first bull seen after that. This is the 2nd time that my father and I shot bulls on the same day. My cousin took a 4x5 earlier in the hunt. Its always a great time in the woods with family. Thank you Amanda for giving us all the opportunity to share our experiences and for running the best website out there!

post-252-0-02083000-1417923081_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-43196700-1417923136_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-80471000-1417923335_thumb.jpg

post-252-0-00432600-1417923357_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

That's really cool that your Dad was able to take a big bull like he wanted! Congrats to all of you on your successful hunt. Awesome that you all hunt together as a family too. That's a heck of a lot of elk meat! ☺

Tons of success right there, great job guys!

Awesome job fellas. That's a beautiful bull your dad took and sure is a lot of meat for you guys, congratulations to you all.

Awesome bulls!

Awesome job and story! Thanks for sharing this and for the help. My hunting partner filled his tag tonight, but I'm still hunting.

• Like 1

I am glad to hear you guys knocked one down! You will have to keep me posted on the rest of your hunt!

• Like 1