Sign in to follow this  
bowhunter4life

AZGFD Commission changing elk structures!!!

Make sure to check out what the AZGFD did at the last commission meeting. More changes recommended by them!! Reduced archery September bull hunts, more archery November hunts and a pre muzzleloader hunt before archery..... You all need to get involved. I am thinking most of you had no idea.....

Does anyone have a link? The pre-archery muzzleloader sounds like a good tag for the bow hunters. Let the muzzy guys chase them when they are pre-rut..

Make sure to check out what the AZGFD did at the last commission meeting. More changes recommended by them!! Reduced archery September bull hunts, more archery November hunts and a pre muzzleloader hunt before archery..... You all need to get involved. I am thinking most of you had no idea.....

I thought less harvest was what most people wanted?

And more opportunity at the same time. Sounds like people are getting what they asked for. Those late archery hints have become much more popular than they originally were.

• Like 1

i looked at the recomendations for next year and there's a slight decrease in archery bull tags as well as a decrease in elk tags in general. Didnt see anything about earlier muzzy hunts.

It was not on the agenda, the commission added it and voted on it. Hopefully the video will be posted Monday so all can see. Sounds like they did not follow protocol of public input?

Dosent sound like a bad idea. Moving more tags to the late archery that's doesn't have a high success rate. And a slight overall reduction in tags is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

They followed protocol but no one ever shows up. I have been to several meetings and only see like 2 maybe 3 guys there with 2 being outfitters

Just an FYI:

They added about 50 tags overall for archery.

The draft that was on the website stated a 49 tag decrease but the commission voted to add 5 tags to all the November Archery Hunts.

They also moved the archery hunt up one (1) week in units where it would not affect other hunts.( I think it was 11 Units)

They did move the early muzzleoader hunt in Unit 9, that was after the archery hunt, to the first week of the archery hunt and pushed the archery hunt back a week.

So now the muzzeloader hunt is pre rut and the archery hunt, second week is a rut hunt.

Big win for archery Unit 9 in 2015!!!!

So I was looking at some of those late archery tags for 2014 and they have really high draw odds like 70% and better on a lot of them, are they really that easy to draw? Why don't more people do those hunts???