Sign in to follow this  
biggunzinaz

Feral Hogs in AZ???

I had a conversation with a fellow last night who claims there are a ton of feral hogs in unit 36B, in fact he claims his cousin works for AZGF and they shoot them for helicopters whenever they are spotted. Anybody out there know anything about this? :P

Nope, But I know there used to be some in 5B north. Don't know if there are still any out there or not. Pigs and burros to terrible things to habitat.

Mike

I have heard there are hogs in unit 32 buy Redfield Canyon on the Smallhouse property. I have never seen them, but a good friend knows the owner and said he had been invited to rid them off his property.

Redman

I heard they are on the Buenos Aires Refuge, my brother was telling me about this a few weeks ago, don't know if its true and I haven't checked it out.

I heard there is some outside of Mammoth I assume unit 32.

I spoke with a officer on the Buenos Aires Refuge a couple of years ago and he said there were a few hogs in there but not too many, it even tells about them in the Refuge flier. It also states that you must hold a big game tag for that area before you can hunt the hogs. There used to be a bunch of hogs along the river by RedRock that my buddies and I chased around with our bows 2 years ago but a developer came in and leveled all that area, know a few people that took some out of there. Some out by Ryan Airfield also, never been out there to look around but seen pictures of hogs taken out there.

Hey guys thanks for the input, here is a quote from the Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge web site:

"Feral Hog may be hunted during other big game seasons, with a valid hunting license and valid big game tag for the season. No bag limit, but scarce. A Special Use Permit is required to hunt coyotes and skunk and may be obtained at headquarters. Permits are available for April and May only. All other plants and animals are protected."

I think this is awesome, you can get an archery deer tag, go down there and take a deer and a big-old hog!!!! :D

Sounds like a pit-roast in the makin.

heck yeah there's feral hogs. ever take a good look at bullwidgeon? if that ain't pure razorback, i don't know what is. i know there are some feral hogs on the san pedro, above san manuel. there's some outfit that even guides for em there. seems like they're called dynamite or tnt outfitters. some kinda 'splosive name. maybe it was "KFB". a guy i work with shot one with a long bow with this outfit. he said there dozens of em where they were. it's all private land and ya hafta pay to hunt it. there used to be some on trumbull, on the strip, years ago. don't know about now. lions probably ate em all. the ones on the buenas aris are few and far between and according to the ranger i talked to there, have only been sighted a couple times. he said he'd never seen one. there are also getting to be a bunch of em east of springerville, toward the new mexico line. (no, it ain't them hairy women out at dogpatch) some o' my pals from there have been hammerin' em fairly regular.

I got drunk and ended up in a bar in Safford one time, I saw some wild hogs that night. :D

Seriously, There are some in the mesquite thickets along the Santa Cruz from Marana to Arizona City. I had some coming to bait regularly this year but they would never come in during the day. I finally gave up after 100 pounds of corn and the temperature got to hot. I might start hauling them corn again after early dove season ends and try for one again.

These were on Johnsons land. I was doing feral goat control and coyote calling and happened to find their tracks, but I am sure some could be found on public or non-posted land around there somewhere, maybe along the river behind the Airpark.

Bret M.

Edited by bullwidgeon

I shot one with my bow on some guys ranch a few years ago with my bow. The ranch was off the San Pedro down by San Manuel somewhere. It sure made good breakfast sausage.