Sign in to follow this  

Bonus Points it took to draw or not draw Elk

Bonus Points it took to draw or not draw Elk  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Archery Bull Elk If you were Drawn!!!

• 0-3 pts
    • 4-6 pts
    • 7-10 pts
    • 11-13 pts
    • Archery Bull Elk (If NOT Drawn)
    • 0-3 pts
    • 4-6 pts
    • 7-10 pts
    • 11-13 pts
  2. 2. November Rifle Bull Elk If you were Drawn!!!

• 0-3 pts
    • 4-6 pts
    • 7-10 pts
    • 11-13 pts
    • November Rifle Bull Elk (If NOT Drawn)
    • 0-3 pts
    • 4-6 pts
    • 7-10 pts
    • 11-13 pts
  3. 3. Early Rifle or Muzzleloader Bull Elk If you were Drawn!!!

• 0-3 pts
    • 4-6 pts
    • 7-10 pts
    • 11-13 pts
    • 13+ pts
    • Early Rifle or Muzzleloader (NOT Drawn)
    • 0-3 pts
    • 4-6 pts
    • 7-10 pts
    • 11-13 pts
    • 13+ pts

Mike and Mike,

For antelope, I put in for what I think are the two best trophy units. In looking at the bonus point analysis, I think I would have had about a 1 in 3 chance for the second unit (that means better odds at not getting drawn, but I'd rather look at what is in the glass than what is missing). Drawing my first choice would have been a 2% chance without the max of 18 BP. Next year maybe I'll draw that rifle tag.

Considering the moisture north of Flag and Williams this past fall and winter, units 9&10 could have bulls and bucks suffering from antler and horn deficit. A friend with max points did not draw his early rifle bull tag and he is not dissappointed this year, due to the moisture conditions in 9 and 10.

I believe the bonus point for field work did not go through. Am I wrong?

Doug~RR

I don't see the bonus point system game and fish created being to succesful. I drew a late rifle unit 10 Elk tag with only 2 previous bonus points. I know a guy who drew a unit 9 early rifle bull tag and a unit 10 rifle antelope tag with zero bonus points and he was a non res non the less.

I believe the bonus point for field work did not go through. Am I wrong?

Nope it didn't go through, your just going to have to get lucky one of these years! :P

Took me 5 years, got a tag this year finally. My friend Chris has been drawn 3 out of the last 4 years. But it took him 9 years to draw that 1st one 4 years ago.

I only had 3 bonus points and drew a unit 23 rifle bull tag for November. Wanted to go archery but had most of the summer planned already so I applied for a late tag, not expecting to get it. Sometimes you get lucky. I don't believe bonus points mean very much unless you are maxed out. Since I started applying for Elk in 1981 I have drawn 20 tags! Ive been lucky enough to draw 9 archery bull tags, 7 archery cow tags, 3 rifle bull tags and 1 rifle cow tag. I have never had over 3 bonus points total. I have also drawn a buffalo tag, 2 antelope tags, a Bighorn sheep tag and a deer tag every year except 2004 and 2006. I'm really not bragging (well maybe a little) but rather pointing out that the bonus point system does not work very well. I feel for the people that put in year after year and don't get a tag, especially the kids. the AGFD needs to do something different to make things work out a little more fair for everybody. I don't know what the solution might be but something should be done. Until that happens I'll keep putting in like everybody else and hope for the best, I'm sure the luck will dry up eventually. Congrats to those that drew and condolances to those that didn't.