Sign in to follow this  
azcouesandelk

Arrow Weight

Ok I was lucky enough to draw my first ever archery bull tag this season. Right now I am shooting 100 grain tips and my arrow, fletchings, glue, insert, knock and tip added together is around 385 grams. I have been told to try to get over 400 grams. My question is with me shooting at 60 pounds should I look for a heavier arrow or should I stay with the same arrow and go with a 125 grain broadhead? I do not want to mess up my opprotunity at a great bull if I am lucky enought to have the opprotunity.

Shoot the arrow/broadhead combo that shoots best in your bow and don't worry about the weight.

i shot an elk this last year with an arrow that was 345 grains at 70 lbs. i shot an 85 gr montec that was super sharp , as long as youre bow shoots great and you can place an arrow in a kill zone then you should be able to shoot a lighter arrow and get more speed. thats my opinion , i like the speed because if you dont guess the yardage just right with a slow bow you could miss your target altogether and with a faster arrow you can be off and still hit the target, cbryant

I haven't paid attention to the technical stuff the past few years, but 10 or so years ago I was always told to shoot at least 5 grains per lb weight draw. If there is not enough weight in front of the string, it can cause excessive force on the limbs (kinda like a dry fire). You might take a closer look at these "technical" details before you go and blow yourself up ;)

Shoot the arrow/broadhead combo that shoots best in your bow and don't worry about the weight.

I agree.....

I shoot 387 and I think it is the heaviest arrow I have ever shot.... I like it, though and it works well. I think it is all part of a balance... not too heavy or light..... not too much draw weight, but as much as you can handle..... fast enough, but not too fast.....

Just do one thing right and none of that will really matter..... ;) ..... "Aim Small, Miss Small". Pretty simple. :) Best of luck on your hunt.

You can figure what combination of speed and weight gives your arrow the most energy by using the link I posted below for a Kinetic Energy Calculator.

http://www.archeryhq.com/ click on KE calculator on the left side menu bar and then enter your specs.

The more weight you can put at the front of the arrow (FOC) within the arrows spine limits, the arrow will shoot more accurately and consistent.

You can get to a point by increasing weight you are losing speed and your energy will begin dropping.

It is a balance between energy and accuracy.

It is something that should be tested using a chronograph, bow scale, arrow scale, KE calculator and measuring shot accuracy rather than word of mouth. However, some advice can help along the way in the process.

Just looking at your numbers without knowing your arrow speed, I would say you are real close where you should be. If you go heavier, you may lose energy. Just a guess.

A good range finder really speeds up your arrow :)

That's probably all you need to worry about, what shoots and feels best to you.

Here's my opinion. Currently I shoot a 345 grain arrow for speed, which I really like ;) and it puts my pins very close together. There are many that say bows shoot better near IBO, others say a heavy arrow is the only way to get enough energy for larger game. I used to shoot larger broadheads 1.5" width with a arrow around 400 grains and didn't like it. Mainly because I thought the arrow didn't penetrate as deep even at longer distances and the arrow flight was slower. I've had the best results with the lighter arrow, and broadhead widths smaller in the 1"-1.25" range. I've noticed the lighter arrow doesn't loose the energy that many people say at long distance and it seems to penetrate deeper, which I like because I would prefer a pass through if possible. A couple buddies shoot the heavy arrow, large broadhead combo and really like it. Everytime I shoot with them no matter what distance the lighter arrow will penetrate a couple inches farther in the target than the heavy arrow. They still insist their arrow has more force... :lol: Whether there right or wrong I don't know I just haven't seen a benefit from a heavy arrow....Either way shot placement will be the key, so practice a lot and you do well. Good Luck and I hope you have a great hunt! B)

I would say go with what you have.

It is far more important to get really good than to worry about arrow grain weight. Some guys who have been bowhunting for years will say that you can't go after Elk with less than a 500grn arrow! They might not be shooting compounds.

-You should pratice with broadheads.

-Work on your set up and once you find what works, if it does already don't mess with it. I have seen guys burn months and kill there own confidence because they get convinced they 'don't have enough' and make big changes.

-Practice while standing or on a knee on un-even ground, Elk like hills too.

I look forward to your scouting trips and pics!

:ph34r:

Younghunter,

Your arrow weight is fine in my opinion. Make sure the bow and arrow are tuned well, shoot sharp broadheads, and don't shoot past your limits! I've had 5 complete passthroughs on elk with a 390 grain arrow from a 70lb compound. All shots were 35 yards or less and broadside. Choose your shot and be patient! As long as you have a sharp broadhead, arrows that are flying straight and don't take marginal shots you will have a dead bull come September!

Kevin

When I shot my 05 bull I was using a pretty heavy carbon express arrows. I think it was around 430 grains. I used the Magnus stinger two blade with bleeders broadhead, and it was devistating on my elk. This year and am going to use the same bow and arrow, but I am going to try the new Magnus Snuffer SS broadhead. It seems like these cut on contact broadheads perform well on the big elk. If you are going to use a light arrow, try to use a 100 grain head and a cut on contact broadhead that flys well from your bow. Make sure you get your bow in tune and then try the broadheads. I think I am shooting close to 70lbs of kinetic energy out of my current set up. I always try to have as much kinetic energy as possible. Elk are not hard to get close to, and a shot under thirty yards in the norm. Try to move up the weight on your bow as you get stronger. Good luck. David

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/snufferss.html

I shoot a 70# bow with 125gr broadheads and end up with an overall arrow weight of 396.4. (Arrow weighs 9.2/gpi). When I shot 60# limbs my arrow was too slow at that weight. I believe you are close to where you should be, if maybe not too heavy. It is definitely a trade off between weight and speed. Maybe check out archerytalk.com for more technical details..??

Thanks for all of the info guys it really helps me in my thinking. I will have to do some more research and will post what I figure out.

Sounds like you have a pretty good combination. Now it is time to practice, practice and practice if you haven't done so already. ;)

I am shooting 3 or 4 days a week. Shooting 50 to 75 arrows each day. I am confident in my shooting just want to make sure I have a good arrow/broadhead setup.