capoeirajosh

Jumping the string?

Been out the past few days pig hunting with my bow. Have not killed anything with my bow yet. Still looking for that first archery kill. I have missed 2 shots on javis yesterday and today. 30 yards and 45 yards. At the range I am accurate out to 70. My arrow flew over both of their backs! Went back to the truck to make sure my sight wasn't messed up. Nope. Right in the bull. Do javis jump the string sometimes? Maybe, I should be aiming a bit low for a heart shot instead to compensate for the string jump. Should my effective range for javis be smaller than my effective range for say deer or elk? Oh, the joys of learning bowhunting, hahaha.

it's usually the excitement - piggy fever

like always pick a spot - concentrate on the white band just behind the front leg - 1/3 way up - look to hit the stripe

just be glad you've been into the piggys twice already

piggys rarely jump the string - they do look a lot bigger when they raise their hair- aim small

30 yrds is normal for these little critters - but its easy to get closer

• Like 2

Remember if they are on to you their hair may be standing up 6+ inches and that is biggest reason for high shots or thru hair shots.. aim from bottom of chest up few inches instead of starting from top down.. good luck!

• Like 1

I've shaved the bristle hairs on ones back before!:-)

Can't find one to release an arrow on this year.

I once hit the mode button on my rangefinder and it switched from yards to meters. My shooting was off until I figured that out!

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips everyone! Gonna try and get on some more today!

If you've never made a bow kill, you may be only practicing and ranging on flat ground. Remember if shooting uphill or downhill, your arrow will fly high.

That's why the rangefinders have that angle compensation. It sounds simple but many forget that during the hunt, including me.

• Like 1

If you've never made a bow kill, you may be only practicing and ranging on flat ground. Remember if shooting uphill or downhill, your arrow will fly high.

That's why the rangefinders have that angle compensation. It sounds simple but many forget that during the hunt, including me.

I actually came back to add that point. Most shots on pigs are on an angle. An archery range finder with the angle compensator is important.

Also look online for pictures on how to shoot at angles (like from a tree stand). It helps from ridge to ridge or up/down a steep hillside to know where to aim for the best vital shot.

I've also taken targets and positioned them in various places on hills to practice in the past. It was very helpful.

• Like 2

Awesome info here. I actually ended up having to get out of there this morning, due to my truck acting weird. The Piggies haven't seen the last of me though!!

Are you all taking your boots off to stalk into these guys?

I use kenetreks and they (asking with me being quite large and not graceful) are quite loud. If possible, I put my tennis shoes on for a stalk.

I never really worried a lot about making loud noise while stalking piggys -

they spend to much time with there heads stuck in different places.

use the wind - walk /stalk as quietly as possible and it should n't be a problem

any old hiking / hunting boots for piggys will do.

even if you get caught right out in the open - just try to remain still and they shouldn't really get spooked

• Like 1

If youve seen my pics, i get close with boots on. I do believe my smaller sized feet make less noise though. I notice noise (as long as you are being pretty quiet) doesn't affect them a lot until you are within 30ish yards, which is bow range.

Also learn to call. If you spook a herd, calling may bring them back. That's how I took my archery pig.

• Like 2

Calling works well or scares them out of the country. I have called them in several times and shot my last pig at 3 yards with a bow as it was charging. I usually don't call though until the herd has been spooked. I was out calling coyotes the other day and spotted some pigs. We got the wind in our face and just slowly walked into them for the fun of it. We were within 20 yards easily. Just go slow.