azcouesandelk

First Venture Into 7W

Well just got back from my first excursion into 7W scouting for my archery bull tag. Overall I am very pleased. Did alot of looking around trying to figure out the lay of the land. Also spent alot of time checking tanks to see if they are holding water.

So Saturday morning woke up and drove to an area where I was told to scout and while driving in saw 4 antelope with 1 nice buck. Continue going in and have to stop because of a shed right off the side of the road. This was my first ever brown 6 point and the easiest shed I have ever found :P It isn't the biggest shed in the world but I am happy with it.

P3300116.jpg

P3300117.jpg

P3310130.jpg

After checking some tanks in the area and doing some circles hoping to find the other side we move on to another area. While hiking out to check another tank we find 8 turkeys. Out of the 8 there were 3 toms and 2 jakes.

CopyofP3300126.jpg

Continue to the tank and do a quick scan of some of the hills and found a herd of 12 elk. None had any head gear and I couldn't tell if any of them were bulls. Get back to camp and take a break and decide to go on a good hike. Went on a 4 or 5 mile jaunt and came across this little busted up 4 point after about 3 miles. Made the hike worthwhile though. Did get onto 1 elk that I am posotive was a bull. Got a good look at him at 15 or so yards

P3310131.jpg

This morning decide to go check some more tanks and try to find the other side to the 6 point again. While driving to the spot we find a herd of 15 elk of the side of the road and keep on going. Go another 2 miles and another herd of elk cross the road. They went into a big meadow and there were 20 to 25 of them. Also there were 10 antelope mixed in the bunch 3 being bucks and 1 being a nice buck. Stop and glass some of the hills around those elk and find 2 more antelope both small bucks and another herd of 15 to 20 elk. Here are some pics of a small antelope buck and a couple of cows. Couldn't get many good pics today.

P3310139.jpg

CopyofP3310140.jpg

Also with all the discussion about feral hogs lately I thought I would throw this into the mix. On Friday I took a short hike out of camp and came across a small feral hog skull. Found a good amount of tracks on a small hill near where the skull was found also.

P3310144.jpg

P3310146.jpg

P3310145.jpg

Sorry for the lengthy post but there will be many of these through the summer :D

Glad to see your already scouting! Last time I had a spring turkey tag for that unit I saw another turkey hunter pick up the largest elk shed I've ever seen. I didn't put a tape on it or take a pic probably because I was so surprised to see such a large piece of bone, but it was probably near 400 pts if the other side were to match. I'll pm you the location and if you run into him or his brother while scouting you'll have to let me know what he looks like...

Looks like that pig took a whack to the head! Cool pics man and congrats on the tag and the freebie by the road!

and you thought you were the only one looking forward to your scouting trips................Thanks for sharing!

we can't wait to see more!

:ph34r:

Nice scouting trip man. I have no doubt you will have him pinned down by your hunt.

Looks like that pig took a whack to the head! Cool pics man and congrats on the tag and the freebie by the road!

My thoughts exactly on the pig........How far off the road was that skull Christian? I have found where locals have dumped butchered carcasses of goats and pigs before and even dogs and horses in that unit because of the proximity to towns. Looks like you've had a good start to scouting, best of luck! JIM>

My thoughts exactly on the pig........How far off the road was that skull Christian? I have found where locals have dumped butchered carcasses of goats and pigs before and even dogs and horses in that unit because of the proximity to towns. Looks like you've had a good start to scouting, best of luck! JIM>

I know what you mean about the skull being busted up. It looks like someone shot it in the head possibly? The only thing is that I did find it around 1/2 mile from the nearest road. Unless a coyote or something picked the skull up and carried it up there. Not sure but I did find a bunch of tracks on a ridge nearby to where I found the skull so there are some up there I think. I also found 3 elk skulls that had the antlers sawed off.

I know what you mean about the skull being busted up. It looks like someone shot it in the head possibly? The only thing is that I did find it around 1/2 mile from the nearest road. Unless a coyote or something picked the skull up and carried it up there. Not sure but I did find a bunch of tracks on a ridge nearby to where I found the skull so there are some up there I think. I also found 3 elk skulls that had the antlers sawed off.

Could the skull possibly be a javelina? I've seen a lot of Javelina in 7W over the last 5 years...

Could the skull possibly be a javelina? I've seen a lot of Javelina in 7W over the last 5 years...

I do not think so. You cant tell from the picture but the skull does not have the same bridge as a javelina. Also the teeth in it are alot different than any javelina I have ever seen but there are some weird things out there. But the gap on the roof of the mouth is almost twice as wide as any javelina I have seen. Could possibly be a javelina but I am 99.9% sure it is a domesticated or feral hog skull.

Great pics Christain, keep up the scouting and you'll do just fine come September!

Feral or domestic pig skull for sure. I've seen lots in Texas.

Manny