Sign in to follow this  
Coach

16 points - what to apply for

Getting up there in points, but reading similar posts, it looks like 16 points isn't much. Do I apply for premium hunts and expect not to draw, or are there any really good hunts that I have a decent shot at drawing that are worth using up the points?

You could have a sweet archery hunt. It would be 10x the memories and twice the trophy.

There are no antelope sleeper units.

I'm at 16 points and kicked around the idea of holding out for a premium antelope unit (what ever those may be) and decided to stick to the unit I know best. Once I get that first rifle goat out of the way I'll be chasing archery tags wherever the best odds are.

Pretty sure I have 16 as well, I wish I would have started archery hunting sooner. I'd probably have hunted goats in AZ 2 or 3 times already!? I feel forced to wait for rifle since I have collected all these wonderful BPs now. Good luck Coach

Again, anything can happen. I met a kid who drew the tag I wanted. He drew with 2 BP, when I had 20+.

Getting up there in points, but reading similar posts, it looks like 16 points isn't much. Do I apply for premium hunts and expect not to draw, or are there any really good hunts that I have a decent shot at drawing that are worth using up the points?

I would recommend to anyone in AZ with a decent amount if points to go to WY and pop your antelope cherry there. If you bail and dump your points on an archery tag you will be able to chase giant goats but will realistically have a chance at a 70" type goat. Those goats are literally everywhere in Wyoming! There is only one state in this country where you have a legitimate chance at a 85"+ goat and you live there! Hold out for a muzzy tag in one if the teen units or a rifle tag in 10 or a single digit unit. Don't burn points on a rifle tag in the teen units, they all die before the season gets there. You are 7-10 years away from the hunt of a lifetime! Take off an extra half day on each end of your hunt, jump in the truck and you'll be in wyoming in 10 hours. Shoot a half dozen 70-77" bucks over the next 7-10 years and you'll be an antelope junky by the time you're ready to draw your az tag!!!

• Like 2

I would recommend to anyone in AZ with a decent amount if points to go to WY and pop your antelope cherry there. If you bail and dump your points on an archery tag you will be able to chase giant goats but will realistically have a chance at a 70" type goat. Those goats are literally everywhere in Wyoming! There is only one state in this country where you have a legitimate chance at a 85"+ goat and you live there! Hold out for a muzzy tag in one if the teen units or a rifle tag in 10 or a single digit unit. Don't burn points on a rifle tag in the teen units, they all die before the season gets there. You are 7-10 years away from the hunt of a lifetime! Take off an extra half day on each end of your hunt, jump in the truck and you'll be in wyoming in 10 hours. Shoot a half dozen 70-77" bucks over the next 7-10 years and you'll be an antelope junky by the time you're ready to draw your az tag!!!

do you have any suggestions on units in Wyoming?

Odds are pretty good in NM with a bow. And as many have pointed out, Wyoming has some incredible tags. Some OTC.

I helped a friend on a muzzy goat hunt this year and the goat he took ended up something like 89 5/8, and he was passing a solid 84 goat each day. A friend of mine says he has access to a ranch in CO with lots of 80+ bucks.

I've only hunted antelope with a bow. Some of the bucks I saw and chased were amazing. I really want the classic antelope hunt, where I can see lots of good bucks. I realize at 16 points, it's no guarantee, but I've waited this long and don't mind waiting more - for that once-in-a-lifetime hunt.

So, unit 10 looks like the most promising, but I know nothing about the 5s and 4s. 2A, 2b, 2c and even 3c and 4b are close enough to go learn. When I do finally draw, I'll go self guided, but I feel at this point I know more about goats ins other states than I do here.

All the units around Casper are great. You can draw a good unit with 2-4 points.