rschaumb

Help or thoughts?

Hey guys,

I shot a buck on Sunday at 2pm. 27 yards, didn't range him because I knew he was close for 20/30 yard pins to stack in his vitals and I didn't have time to range him. Hit him and I could see the arrow in him so I knew I hit him and it was right in the vital area. When he stopped at 90 yards I could see the arrow sticking out and didn't look like good penetration. It must have hit the shoulder in a bad spot and stopped very quickly. He took off running and I lost sight of him.

Long story short, I found a good pile of frothy lung blood where he first stood. Followed blood/tracks for over a mile after an hour wait and the track took another 2 hours. Came up on him and his does again at this point and tried to get another arrow in him but pushed him up and over the ridge, down and up the next and down that one till dark. Followed blood for another 3/4 miles in the dark over two hours. Left it till the morning.

Glassed for an hour in the morning to see if he was still walking around with his does again. Found his does and stalked in on them after they got in some thick stuff. Busted the does but no buck. So I went back to the blood and followed for another 1/2 mile over 2 hours and finally lost it. Spent another half hour to hour trying to find the next track or blood and couldn't find anything.

What are your guys' thoughts on whether you think he'll live or not.

My plan is to go out again tomorrow, Friday and Saturday mornings and glass for a couple hours and then hike around the area where I last saw him and either find him alive and get another arrow in him (I know they can be tough animals), or either find crows or smell him after a few days. This is the first animal I've ever shot with anything and haven't found so it's a huge bummer. But I will try to do everything I can to find him dead or alive.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The arrow was still in him when we jumped him 3 hours in and never found it along his blood trail so I believe it's still in him but probably just hanging on by the broadhead in his shoulder blade.

Probably shot through his shoulder and got 1 lung...with you bumped him the second time he vamoosed.

Chances he's still alive but now lives somewhere else.

Yeah I put a cam on water near by in case he's still alive and heads there. But if he died on the way to water; I could try looking around those areas. Thanks for the input

my buddy shot a deer in the shoulder 2 years ago and arrow stayed in him bled pretty good at first fallowed blood for bout a mile and lost it. searched for 2 days and no sign of him. year later another hunter shot the deer and still had the broadhead in him. just hammer the area and glass for him.

A deer can go a long way on one lung, but thats still a fatal shot. My money says he's already bled out and is waiting for your tag. Good luck finding him. Bad hits suck. I lost a spike a few years ago over a bad hit and am still pissed at myself for it.

Yeah I plan on getting out a bit to go look for him alive or dead. I know they can go far and I also know they can survive a lot. So I plan on hunting and tracking 50/50. Thanks

Fixed blade RamCat. Almost 70 lbs. I've never had an issue before with these on my 3 javelina, 2 cow elk, and one deer prior to this. I just don't know if he leg was back and I didn't notice, or he jumped the string a bit or if I tucked it in his chest too deep to hit the shoulder like that.