rschaumb

Help or thoughts?

Throughly check the area he and his does are comfortable with. They stay in that area for a reason. They are super tough creatures and their will to survive is unrivaled. check wateR. If you find tracks note if he is favoring one side to compensate the wound. itll most likey be your buck. Id glass his travel routes near his water sources. Good luck. Hope you find him.

Went out this morning and glassed 4 groups of deer. 4 does, 4 does, 5 does and 4/5 does with a big buck and little fork. So then I hiked zig zag all around the area of last blood for 4 miles. Repeat Friday and Sat and hopefully by then the crows or smell will find him for me. Lots of crows around but in 2's or 3's and not clustered. So they should find him for me if he's dead.

I hope you're right. I just hope to glass him at some point if he's still in the area. I would just really like to know one way or another. It sucks not knowing. But for sure it only hit one lung. It was barely in from the get go. I'm just surprised how much blood there was for so long with a fairly (relative) easy track job.

I did the exact same thing last December like vinniebeeks was saying mine was a 60 yard shot but after I thought about it his leg was back because he was taking a tree when I shot I'm pulling 72 lbs and was shooting the gold tip velocity arrows around 290 fps with G5 t3 mechanicals. It sucked bad for me untill I found out that deer was shot this October by someone in 5guyshunting hunting group. Good luck on it tho I feel for you for sure

I have to agree with some of the comments stating that if you got only 1 lung at best, he's most likely still running around. One question I have is when you jumped him after the hit, did he show any sign of being in bad shape? Was he limping real hard or having trouble moving? Again, if not there's a good chance the shot was not fatal. If I were in your shoes, after all of the effort you have put in looking for him, I would accept the fact you will most likely not find him and resume hunting. I would hunt in that area with hope of finding some sign of him, but I wouldn't pass up an opportunity to harvest a different buck. That's just me and you must figure that out for yourself. Best of luck either way. Readers, please hold your comments for another post on situation ethics so this thread stays on point to help this guy out.

We were following blood right into the group of does and they just sort of walked off, not knowing what scared them. We assumed the buck was in the trees as well and I wanted to get another arrow in him but then we saw him heading up the hill. He was limping as he hopped up the hill. When we followed him up and over we saw him in the bottom of the ravine heading up the next hill and he must have heard us, though he didn't look back, and booked up the steep hill quicker than I would have thought with an arrow bouncing in his shoulder.

Best of luck finding him!

Just my thoughts on the deer surviving or not....

It sounds to me like you hit the shoulder blade and the broadhead is lodged in it. If that is the case, then I would think the deer will live. I know there are plenty of guys out there that say they have put a broadhead through a shoulder blade (I am NOT calling you liars) but I personally have never seen it. But, if the broadhead did actually get through the shoulder and into one lung, I would bet good money on him being dead. I have never seen a deer survive after being hit through one lung but I guess it is possible. If there is one thing I have learned about deer and elk is that they can take a lot more than I ever thought they could. Tough animals. Anyway, I got curious about them surviving with one lung and found this article I thought was interesting. It is down toward the end.

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/tactics_bh_whitetail_0409/

Good luck, I hope you find him. Losing an animal is a horrible feeling.

This is the blood where he stood when he stopped at 90 yards.

post-6185-0-46675400-1422583058_thumb.jpg

Then we followed blood that was at times easy to spot at a slow walk and at times we were crawling around looking for a BB sized drop anywhere. We did this for over a mile before we jumped him again (which was 3 hours after the shot) and tracked at night for over 3/4 a mile and another half mile during the next morning before I lost it completely.