capoeirajosh

backpacking trails?

Guest akaspecials

There are bears back there. But no need to really worry about them. The area is pretty well traveled. I still hang a bear bag with paracord if I can find a tree. This is mostly to keep coatis, ringtails, and other vermin out of my food though.

Won't be any apples this time of year. Just keep an eye out for bee swarms as queens hatch out over the next month or so.

Won't be any apples this time of year. Just keep an eye out for bee swarms as queens hatch out over the next month or so.

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up! Not a fan of bees.

a lot of boys scouts go there this time of year, with all the noise I wouldn't worry about bears just carry a sidearm great hike into there. Lots of cool places to look around.

• Like 1

a lot of boys scouts go there this time of year, with all the noise I wouldn't worry about bears just carry a sidearm great hike into there. Lots of cool places to look around.

Always, have the sidearm. ; )

That is a beautiful hike. I'd be a LOT more worried about buzztails than bears! Enjoy it and share some pictures when you get back!

Bear spray should be a part of your kit too. After I called a black bear in right up my bum a few years ago in the White Mountains, I always make it a point to carry bear spray with me. It's light weight and the cans have a range of 10 yards or so. That bear made a mistake and snapped a twig at about 30 yards right behind me. Had he not been so clumsy there could have been a very fat happy bear that summer and one less cwt member today.

Note to self: It may seem like a good idea to try calf calling cow elk in for pictures during the summer time, but during the month of June bears are hitting calfs & deer fawns pretty hard.... :unsure:

Bear spray should be a part of your kit too. After I called a black bear in right up my bum a few years ago in the White Mountains, I always make it a point to carry bear spray with me. It's light weight and the cans have a range of 10 yards or so. That bear made a mistake and snapped a twig at about 30 yards right behind me. Had he not been so clumsy there could have been a very fat happy bear that summer and one less cwt member today.

Note to self: It may seem like a good idea to try calf calling cow elk in for pictures during the summer time, but during the month of June bears are hitting calfs & deer fawns pretty hard.... :unsure:

Thanks for the tip. Man, that must have been spooky, haha!

That is a beautiful hike. I'd be a LOT more worried about buzztails than bears! Enjoy it and share some pictures when you get back!

Will do! Definitely, gonna have my eyes open for those sneaky buzzers! One time while fishing Apache Lake, one scared me so bad, I darn near jumped in the lake once he rattled me. That was the first time I ever got buzzed. No pun intended, haha.

• Like 1

Reavis trail from Roosevelt lake side by Reevis mountain school of self reliance.

• Like 1

Horton creek trail is another great option. Cool pines and plenty of water along the trail.

• Like 1