Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Turkey Hunt in Mexico? Yes! Go do it!

Many of you have already seen photos and video from my hunt last spring with my friend Peg Joiner. But I thought I would share more details about the hunt since it’s getting close to turkey hunting time. If you have ever wondered if you should go hunt turkeys in Mexico, let me tell you the answer is YES! I had the pleasure of going down with site sponsors Colburn and Scott Outfitters (http://www.colburnandscottoutfitters.com/) and my friends Peg and TJ. Peg had won a free hunt last year and invited me along. Thanks Peg!! I had always wanted to go hunt Gould’s turkeys in Mexico and now had the perfect opportunity.

Our trip was a fairly short one, but very productive thanks to our expert guides Jay Scott and Darr Colburn. Our border crossing was very easy, especially since they already had guns at the ranch that we could use. Jay and Darr have been guiding hunters in Mexico for turkey and Coues deer for many years and they know how to make sure everything goes smoothly. They handle all the paperwork and make it an easy experience. Here is a pic of Peg and TJ at the border with Jay in the background handling some paperwork for us.

post-1-0-61912700-1425765405_thumb.jpg

Jay and Darr had lined up a great ranch for us to hunt. It was located in an unbelievably beautiful riparian corridor with lots of tall cottonwood trees and fish swimming in the creek. The ranch was very nice and we all had our own rooms. We arrived in the afternoon and after briefly getting unpacked at the ranch, we headed out to scout and hunt. I went out with Darr to some farther away locations to see if we could find a hotspot, but we didn’t find a lot going on where we went. Peggy, TJ and Jay, however, got into some birds that afternoon and almost had one down, but it didn’t quite come together.

post-1-0-53559800-1425765441.jpg

post-1-0-67995000-1425765469_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-47879600-1425765477.jpg

Darr calling and listening near sunset during the first afternoon of the hunt.

post-1-0-94235400-1425765529_thumb.jpg

Jay and Darr had another friend (Joe Bittner) who had come down to help us on the hunt. That afternoon he had scouted out a different part of the creek and excitedly reported to us that he roosted some birds for us. Perfect! So the plan was Darr, Joe, and I would go there in the morning while Peggy, Jay and TJ went back where they had luck the evening before. We were excited for the hunt in the morning.

We hiked along the creek in the dark to roughly where one of the gobblers had been roosted the night before. We set up some decoys and waited for daylight. We could hear a few turkeys gobbling in the trees in the predawn. However, despite some expert calling by Darr, the gobbler didn’t come our way that morning. So we decided to hike down the creek and hope to get into another group that we had heard further away. We did get into those birds and it all looked like it was going to work out perfectly as we watched some hens work toward us with a gobbler calling and strutting behind them. However, just about the time they were going to reach us, there were a bunch of cattle that came in from the opposite direction and they seemed to spook the turkeys away from us and we sadly watched them run up a ridge away from us. So the morning was a bust for us, but full of excitement. When we got back to camp we found out that Peg had shot her first Gould’s turkey!! It was awesome! Here are some photos and here is a link to her story (http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/49098-i-won-a-goulds-turkey-hunt/):

Peg's bird is almost taller than her!!!

post-1-0-64622100-1425765571_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-40011600-1425765595.jpg

We rested up at the comfortable ranch in preparation for the afternoon hunt. The plan was that Jay, Darr and I would go back where we had the gobblers in the morning and hope that they came in that way to roost in the evening. We set out a great looking full strut decoy and some hen decoys (made by Dave Smith). Jay did all the calling and Darr was filming. My job, of course, was to make the shot count when the opportunity presented itself. Well, I can tell you that it was a tension-filled afternoon for me as the turkeys kept coming in silently and our setup meant the birds would be within shooting range almost as soon as I could see them, so I had to be ready with the gun up almost the entire afternoon until dark. Being on high alert for hours on end got very tiring, but it’s a good problem to have for sure! Shortly after we got set up, we had some hens come through with a jake. Later we had a coyote come through and attempt to eat the decoy! It was quite amusing to watch. And then a jake and a two year old gobbler came through. I decided not to shoot that gobbler since I wanted a bigger one. Then just before dark another group of hens came in with a big gobbler waddling in at full strut behind them. The big gobbler came in silently and attacked the full strut decoy and I was able to take a shot and get my first Gould’s in Mexico! You can watch it all on video from two different angles. The first angle is the view Darr had which allowed him to see the bird longer than the view Jay and I had. It is so cool to have my first Gould’s hunt filmed!

here is a link to the video:

and some photos of my bird

my bird in full strut next to the full strut decoy that he attacks

post-1-0-31904800-1425766632_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-20442800-1425766809_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-43828300-1425765755_thumb.jpg

I loved the old farm equipment at the ranch and so set up some pics with the turkey and TJ snapped them for us (thanks TJ!)

post-1-0-34676900-1425765783_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-77459300-1425766388_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-02610100-1425765893_thumb.jpg

Peg cooked up some turkey for dinner that night and we enjoyed some Bacanora (a special liquor made from agaves in the town of Bacanora, Mexico) with the ranch owner….what a way to celebrate a successful hunt in Mexico! The turkey was tender and flavorful…what a treat!

post-1-0-25762500-1425765619.jpg

sharing bacanora with peg and the ranch owner:

post-1-0-79082900-1425765636.jpg

Oh, and check out the crop from my gobbler….it was FULL of grasshoppers! Being a biologist, I almost always cut open the crop of turkeys I harvest to see what they are eating. And this was impressive to say the least! WOW!

post-1-0-55260700-1425765693.jpg

Thank you to Jay and Darr for sharing their expert turkey hunting skills and giving me a great experience Gould’s hunting in Mexico!! If you are thinking of going to Mexico for a Gould’s hunt, give Jay and Darr a call! They know turkey hunting, are a pleasure to be around and they have great ranches in Mexico!

And what a treat to share this hunt with my friends TJ and Peg. Thanks for inviting me along, it couldn’t have been any better!

For more information about turkey hunts in Mexico with Colburn and Scott, please visit:

http://www.colburnandscottoutfitters.com/search/label/Goulds%20Turkey%20Hunts

• Like 4

That sure brought back great memories from last year. What a great trip and an awesome hunt with Jay and Darr. Amanda, Cabelas Spring Fever has a short clip of Peggy and your hunt but not sure how to post. It truly was one of the most beautiful ranches I've ever been on.

Yes, if you ever get the chance to hunt with Colburn and Scott Outfitters you definitely will not be disappointed. They are fun people to be around and very knowledgeable about whatever they hunt. Thanks for sharing Amanda. :)

TJ

• Like 1

How much does a hunt like that cost?

Usually around $2500. You can save a little money sometimes by using guns at the ranch. You can often add a second turkey to your hunt for a few hundred dollars if you like.

I remember reading Peg's hunt but not yours. Did you just their shotguns? What do you think about doing it with a bow?

I actually wanted to do it with a bow but opted to use a shotgun instead. I think archery would be a great way to hunt down there. It saves on the gun permit cost and since the turkeys are generally lightly hunted you can get close for a good shot with a bow. Darr Colburn (one of the outfitters) often hunts turkeys with a bow and knows how to get it done. For this hunt we just used shotguns that they already had brought down to the ranch.

Loved seeing the pictures and video again! Looks like an amazing hunt!!!

Now.... about that Sparkling Lizard hat!?!?!? :huh: :wacko: :lol:

• Like 1

I priced it out and the 2nd turkey is a a couple hundred less than 2x price.

Tell us about crossing the border thing, both directions esp with the bird. Did you both get your turkeys mounted?

I priced it out and the 2nd turkey is a a couple hundred less than 2x price.

Tell us about crossing the border thing, both directions esp with the bird. Did you both get your turkeys mounted?

Border crossing was easy both ways. Jay and Darr know all the rules down there and make it very simple. Apparently you can't bring the meat back (I think it's due to USDA rules), which is why we ate much of it there and gave the rest to the cowboys. We took the wings, tails and beards back across the border, but you could take the entire skin for a lifesize if you wanted. When we got to the border the agents inspected the birds and all our paperwork. It takes time, but isn't very difficult. You have to take the turkeys directly to a certified taxidermist who then treats the feathers for whatever it is they get treated for to meet USDA requirements. We used site sponsor Jim Hartsock of Southwest Wildlife taxidermy to treat the feathers (thanks Jim!). http://www.swwildlife.com/index.php

I am planning to do a turkey fan and wing mount for my bird. It's still in TJ's freezer.

I am hoping to do a mount that matches one I did for a Merriams turkey I shot in NM. Here is a pic of that mount....I love it!

post-1-0-92572700-1425870624_thumb.jpg

Great recap Amanda!

I know how much fun you all had from talking to Peg and TJ!

Love the antique farm equipment as well!

• Like 2

Did SW Wildlife do that mount in the picture?

No, like I said in my post, I made that one myself a few years ago and I hope to make a matching one with my Gould's.