does anybody use the Hornady amax 208 grain in 30 caliber for hunting?
Asking because they don't recommend for hunting and if yes what are the results looking to use in a 300 win mag or my other choice was the accubond lr 210 grain but can't find them
Thanks for any input

Hornady A-max is a ferocious hunting bullet. don't listen to the website.

• Like 1

I've never used the .30 cal AMAX for hunting (yet) but have used the 7mm 162 grain on several animals and they dropped in their tracks.

Most bullets, placed where they need to go, will do the job. Placement is priority #1. I use a lot of match bullets for hunting, and they have never let me down.

I have never used the Amax, but the SMK/Berger Hybrids work amazingly well.

Amax works extremely well especially at long range. I have had solid results shooting them in a 6.5 120gr and 140s.

The two deer I have seen them used on exited but massive internal damage was done. One deer took three steps the other fell where he stood.

I have not used them only because I couldn't find them when working up loads int he right weight. However, I have read nothing but good reports on most forums for long range hunting. I want to try them in our new 6.5 when I start working on some new loads.

I have used the Amax on a dozen kills. Pigs to Elk and the performance has been great. I wouldn't shoot an elk in the shoulder at close range, but I have seen the Amax exit on mature bulls at range. They open up down to around 1600fps where Ive heard the Bergers need 1800 plus.

They are my go to round in my 300RUM. Killed lots of bulls and a few deer with them. If you do your job they will do theirs. Good luck.