Sign in to follow this  
Seldom Drawn

Lbs

My guess is only the hard core guys who can dedicate days at a time or the unethical guys who take quads off the trails.

• Like 1

I took my family out righty who weekends ago when some of the roads opened up north and found that most of the fence lines we walked already had quad tracks next to them. All the ponds we checked had quad tracks around them also. We only found one this past weekend and it was an area where the quads can't go. My son was pretty exited. David

post-561-0-55509700-1427949029_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Still don't understand why it's all about how many pounds you find in a season. And we all wonder why we are having issues finding sheds and seeing more and more off-road quad riders.

• Like 1

I have a few "honey holes" that I used to be able to pick up 15-20 horns in a day of hiking. Monster horns! Haven't gone back for years simply because I'm many years older now and my wheels do not work as well. Stated differently......my tether has gotten shorter. But there are no roads to these areas so I'm certain 4 wheelers would not be an issue of concern to me (like other whiners) if I could still get there :(

I'm sure its much easier for people whom live where elk are in there back yards and don't have to travel 100-200-400 miles back and forth . It's easy to use a tank of gas with all the driving around included.

some have access to areas others can't go - private land - reservations etc.

I feel lucky if I can get 3-4 a yr. if I can get that many a trip I'm a happy shed hunter.

the fact that these "quad hunters" are driving everywhere they are not suppose to go is B.S. but even when confronted you get the flip -off and away they go , they will end up ruining it for all.

Just enjoy your time in the woods and any sheds are a bonus!

• Like 3

I was wondering how many people that normally have done really good the past 10-20 years, how are they doing nowadays now that it has grown so popular, quads don't effect my shed hunting, just pisses me off they are go where they want and there is nothing done about it.

Shedhunteraz,

I can still find a lot of sheds, my post wasn't asking for help finding them just asking if the guys or gals that kill it every year are still having good success with all the new people looking, some people do good every once in a while but some do great every year.

Hornhunter 10,

You are one hunter that answered what I was asking, it doesn't sound like the quads or popularity has hurt you.

I was wondering how many people that normally have done really good the past 10-20 years, how are they doing nowadays now that it has grown so popular, quads don't effect my shed hunting, just pisses me off they are go where they want and there is nothing done about it.

Shedhunteraz,

I can still find a lot of sheds, my post wasn't asking for help finding them just asking if the guys or gals that kill it every year are still having good success with all the new people looking, some people do good every once in a while but some do great every year.

Hornhunter 10,

You are one hunter that answered what I was asking, it doesn't sound like the quads or popularity has hurt you.

Well we can also. My wife is the avid shed hunter and can guarantee she hikes and shed hunts harder than 95% of the guys on here. Yes she normally kills it as a lot of you have seen in some of her posts. Yes a lot of the new people are making an impact reguardless of where you shed hunt. In her case she doesn't hunt near roads never has and never will. And still has times where she struggles. And yes quads make a huge difference in any unit. It moves them around.

The biggest impact on my seasons, which, to my standards are good, is people on horseback. I hike my butt off everytime we go out, and it kills me when I find boot and horse tracks. In a spot we did good in for two years, never once had horsebackers been an issue, this year, we hit our good spot. They FOLLOWED us in there, and then raced down the trail and up the ridge he were going to hit, that really pissed me off. So I would say the growing popularity of shed hunting is having an affect on my season.

You are right that the quads moving them around , but so do all the shed hunters walking around 6 weeks before they drop looking for that big set.

Not gonna get into a pissing match with you. I agree with the early idiots move them around. My wife takes it to a scientific level and I won't go into that. And makes dang sure they have dropped before she gets in there

These guys really hike their butt off. I've got a salt lick 2 miles from the nearest road and I have pictures of bulls dropping their horns next to it, and within 2 days a guy shows up and picks them up. Kudos to him, I picked up 5 sheds there a couple years ago - found nothing this year because he found the spot. Hard work, boot leather, get there first. The guys on quads gridding an area out do strike a nerve with me, but those on foot have my respect.

• Like 3

If I was younger and still had "my wheels" I can guarantee you quads would not affect how productive my horn hunting efforts were, as there are no roads where I used to go. Having said that, I do acknowledge it seems that since the Wallow Fire, a greater percentage of the bulls are shedding at higher elevations (where they never used to shed).......and where quads can help cover more ground efficiently per day.