Sign in to follow this  
DavElk

Arizona Unit 1 Early Archery – Getting Warmer?

Yeah Desertbull...listen to what the newbie says......he's been a member here for going on 45 minutes now :huh:

• Like 1

Be mobile unless you find a giant. Unit 1 has lots of road access can't really get away from people with all the tags they got combined. Hunt hard lots of great places in the unit you won't have a problem finding elk. And the place behind big lake you mentioned is a good starting point but just don't stick to that area. pm me if you need any help.

Murfy... I had a premier member call me to take a look at what was being said about guides. he had a good laugh too so I made an account. Huntnaztoo has a good point. so no one knows hunting unless they have a long term account here pfff

58 year resident here in AZ and had 4 elk tags.. very spread apart too. I have never seen a wallhanger during the hunt so ended up shooting a spike both times and 2 cows the other times. With what it takes to get a tag especially for a NR, I would not hesitate to hire a quality guide. I have thought about it myself...and trust me...I hunted my A$$ off during my bull hunts. It's not always that easy even with pre-scouting and friends helping. Now I am pushing 60 and it's harder to get out there and put a 10 mile hike in. A guide in my case may be the way to go if I ever want a quality bull. ......just saying

• Like 1

Murfy... I had a premier member call me to take a look at what was being said about guides. he had a good laugh too so I made an account. Huntnaztoo has a good point. so no one knows hunting unless they have a long term account here pfff

I dont care who called you...you dont have to be rude..this is an opinion from someone else that you slammed on...not good IMO ....

pfff your self

I apologize to DesertB... I let your comment get to me. won't happen again

I made no comment to you.

The fact is, the guy was looking for some info on unit 1. It's his tag. He paid for and drew it. It's no one else's business if he hires a guide or not. He didn't even say one word about a guide. From his post it seems like he is committed to doing it on his own.

• Like 4

wtf is going on in this thread?

edit: hunting elk in 1 is like kissing your sister.

56674311.jpg

• Like 1

You slammed on me first Murfy JUST sayin don't be rude

The thing is, the stories you have about the few elk you have killed are the stories people want to hear. Because they are good, and they are true, and they are about you and your hard work and achievement, kill or not. Big bull or not. But the day you follow a guide around and kill the bull he says to kill, then keep that story to yourself and let the guide tell it. It was his hunt and his achievement, not yours.

You girls sound like a bunch of women arguing on facebook.

Whatever happened to the days when men were men,and women were just property? Gee, I miss those days!

• Like 7

in this thread guys who cant kill anything better than a raghorn bag on guys getting guides. id rather go with a guide and kill a 360+ then a raghorn on my own. and yes, I would tell the story like its my elk. I hunted it and killed it, therefore its mine.

the high and mighty is so funny to me. insecure much?

As usual this site is showing itself to be head shoulders above any other hunting site I've seen. You guys continue to help. You helped me last year in unit 6A and I appreciate it. I feel like a smuck because I did write back to you. I didn't loose an arrow. But, my hunt was a great experience from, the rode show over Labor Day weekend, meeting locals there who checked on my wife and I daily to be sure we were ok, to the last four days of the hunt when the bulls just went crazy. Arizona is a great elk state. The environments second to none. A two week season that will definitely include some aspect of the rut. Great locals. I loved my 6a hunt and I ate the tag, by choice. I could've killed rag horn bulls, but an Arizona archery elk tag makes it hard to do. You can't kill a big bull if you shoot a small bull first. But, at 66 years, it ain't just about killing a bull. It's about the hunt. I've guided. Guided hunters are more successful at the harvest. Unguided have a different experience, more individual, more independent. I've had friends hunt Unit 1 guided and unguided. Both had great experiences, just different. I respect both the guides and the unguided hunter. With a Unit 1 tag it would impossible not to have a great experience if you hunted the two weeks. No guide needed being my vote.

• Like 3