Sign in to follow this  
DavElk

Arizona Unit 1 Early Archery – Getting Warmer?

Website said results coming soon!

Wonder what coming soon means? A few minutes? A few hours? A week?

This is a relatively new 'mentality' in the last couple decades, that antlers on the wall are more important than being a man and hunting a bull elk on your own.

last couple decades? lol hard if you dont think the indian with the biggest bull back in the day didnt get his pick of the squaws that night. just lol.

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for the advice to someone who is a stranger to all of you. If more people hunted and spent time hunting w/their kids this world would be a better place. I really appreciate it.

A bit more about me...I've hunted (tag & bow in hand) 3 times since late 80's, took my boy to Colorado once, and accompanied my hunting buddy on a hunt to Colorado. Very first hunt was guided in MT, great experience and learned a lot (should have got one). All others were do it yourself. On first DIY in Idaho I shot a 294" 6x6 the day I was calling for my buddy - bull got mad and came straight in to me. Long story short lunged him on 2nd shot after calling him back in a 2nd time - hit antler on first (shaking uncontrollably). Peterson's Bowhunting published an article I submitted about our DIY hunt (heck - I'd of payed them to publish it but they payed me).

All in all we've harvested 3 bulls on our 5 hunts. Unfortunately my buddy is not able to join me this fall due to work. Hoping my oldest boy can for part of it.

As for the guided topic, I have a world of respect for guides; in my limited experience most are top notch and work their tails off for you, and agree my chances of locating and taking a mature bull are much better hiring one. However I'm the type person that enjoys learning the land, animals, and their patterns - even if that means I blow it and watch them disappear into the next drainage. On my only guided hunt I felt pressured (from myself - not the guide) to do what my guide wanted me to do which detracted from me "enjoying the moment". But boy did they know where the elk lived and how to call them in....to each his own. My DIY hunts are chalked full of special memories (close encounters, bad weather, dead batteries, etc.) I'm exploring some of the scouting services as a possible option.

I updated my profile showing a picture of a whitetail that grossed 204" that my 11 year old son shot in 2004. I was sitting next to him in the stand (w/my muzzleloader in hand also) and talked him through the shot. Don't think he was old enough to know how nervous he should have been, but at 60 yds didn't know he had 20 points. Idgaf, I'll share what I know about IN whitetails, but before getting too excited my boy's deer was taken on a National Wildlife Refuge on the opening day of a Muzzleloader hunt we got drawn for. My two other boys have also outdone dad with 140-150 class bucks. Hope they remember all this when I get old. While IN is getting better, most states bordering IN have much better management practices (i.e. shorter gun seasons) that allow bucks to get older.

Thanks again for the tips, look forward to hearing some of your stories. I will have more specific questions around logistics (Campsites, ATV use, etc.) as my hunt gets more defined).

• Like 5

Guest 300ultramag.

Lol a premier member called me!!! That makes quote of the week!

• Like 6

Premier member? Reminds me why I quit hunt talk. ............BOB!

Murfy your self description is a guy who can't hunt worth a dam and has never even seen a large bull in the wild after a lifetime of looking and busting your a$$. geeezzz those are ur words! ok ok Go hire a guide! But don't act like the worlds greatest hunter when u just show up and pull a trigger. AND help us start liking guides more by telling yours that you don't want to shoot a bull larger than 350. I am sure a 330 bull would just rock your world right?!

The final four games tonight were good. Charles Barkley in his classic style was talking about forums and keyboard jockeys and he said "The internet is where fools go to feel important." and where guides go to reel em in... $$$$

Thanks Flagstaffer for the back up. There's more of you (newbies with opinions these people hate) out there, not here.

outta here. canceling this account. Man-up men!

Murfy your self description is a guy who can't hunt worth a dam and has never even seen a large bull in the wild after a lifetime of looking and busting your a$$. geeezzz those are ur words! ok ok Go hire a guide! But don't act like the worlds greatest hunter when u just show up and pull a trigger. AND help us start liking guides more by telling yours that you don't want to shoot a bull larger than 350. I am sure a 330 bull would just rock your world right?!

The final four games tonight were good. Charles Barkley in his classic style was talking about forums and keyboard jockeys and he said "The internet is where fools go to feel important." and where guides go to reel em in... $$$$

Thanks Flagstaffer for the back up. There's more of you (newbies with opinions these people hate) out there, not here.

outta here. canceling this account. Man-up men!

I HAVE A STINKING FEELING YOU AND FLAGSTAFFER ARE SWEETYS..YOU JOINED THE SAME DAY AND HAVE THE SAME CRAPPY ATTITUDE. Leave and take your idiot friend with you..jerk

Hi all,

Following the suggestion of a few wise & helpful friends I'm submitting my first post to this site. Have enjoyed reading many threads already.

I have high hopes of seeing the word "successful" when viewing the upcoming draw results (my card was hit and Unit 1 was my only choice).

This will be my one and only hunt in Arizona. While my primary objective is to enjoy the wilderness & experience some good rut activity, I am hopeful my 15 years of patience will provide an opportunity to encounter a mature bull during 2 weeks of hard hunting (350 class).

From my research to date, the area south & west of Big Lake seems to be the leading candidate to call home for a couple weeks. Not looking for anyone's honey hole from years of experience, rather generalities as to elk population, recent changes that could impact this fall (continued Wallow fire growth/recovery, impact of tag quantity changes, hunting pressure, access, etc.)

Would very much appreciate any feedback as to my current line of thinking (i.e. am I getting warmer?)

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom. Feel free to PM me.

Hope to be able to return the favor by sharing the results of my experience and perhaps meeting you in camp this fall.

Best of luck in the draw.

If you do draw, plan to be here a few days before the opener, valuable scouting time! other places to scout - Escudilla wilderness area and the parts of unit 1 north and east of the White Mountain Indian Reservation from highway 260 follow that boundary north and then west along the reservation line - lots of good bulls back and forth on that boundary.

To offset some of the crankiness on the this thread get a hold of me the day or so before the season and I will take you to some of the areas I hunt. Everywhere in unit has the potential of a good bull.

some of my resume photos. these pics were taken in June, October, and November (anybody can take pictures of elk in september)

post-4480-0-49906000-1428272520_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-18052700-1428273051_thumb.jpg

post-4480-0-27368900-1428275899_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

DavElk,

I don't recall seeing where you said you applied for an archery tag or a rifle tag. I used to hunt 1 (& 27) all the time and found an area further south in 1 (north of the black river) that may be worth a look. PM me if you want more info., but it was my all-time favorite area in unit 1.

I haven't hunted in 1 for a long time as I now live in Northern AZ and hunt closer to Flagstaff and Williams, but the area I'm referring to was only partially affected by the fire and was the best all-around area we found while hunting in unit 1 for years.

wtf is going on in this thread?

edit: hunting elk in 1 is like kissing your sister.

Kissing your sister must be awesome because I know hunting elk in unit 1 sure is!

No offense, but guides are the ones who do all the work and get the credit, not the hunter. I've never understood the whole pay for a guide thing. It's always bugged the crap out of me. You might as well go to the zoo and pull the trigger on an animal. Most of the people you see in these magazines paid thousands of dollars to show up and pull a trigger. No skill, hard work, or time goes into it. But hey they get to go back home and brag about the massive elk they shot and post it all over hunting sites. Which is another thing I can't stand. Hunting is not like it use to be, now it's a Bragging competition. It's like country music these days, half rap, half crap with diamonds on there tight pants, singing about lifted tailgates and horses they've never saddled. What happened to go old country. People listen to rap while hunting from there lifted rangers. Yes, I am ranting. Just wanted to post some frustration. I'll never post again. But back to original point, If you put in for a hunt, take time to work hard at it with your family and friends and make it your hunt, not someone else's. Where is the glory in having someone show you exactly where an animal is and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Good luck on the draw results..... I'm out