Sign in to follow this  
DavElk

Arizona Unit 1 Early Archery – Getting Warmer?

No offense, but guides are the ones who do all the work and get the credit, not the hunter. I've never understood the whole pay for a guide thing. It's always bugged the crap out of me. You might as well go to the zoo and pull the trigger on an animal. Most of the people you see in these magazines paid thousands of dollars to show up and pull a trigger. No skill, hard work, or time goes into it. But hey they get to go back home and brag about the massive elk they shot and post it all over hunting sites. Which is another thing I can't stand. Hunting is not like it use to be, now it's a Bragging competition. It's like country music these days, half rap, half crap with diamonds on there tight pants, singing about lifted tailgates and horses they've never saddled. What happened to go old country. People listen to rap while hunting from there lifted rangers. Yes, I am ranting. Just wanted to post some frustration. I'll never post again. But back to original point, If you put in for a hunt, take time to work hard at it with your family and friends and make it your hunt, not someone else's. Where is the glory in having someone show you exactly where an animal is and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Good luck on the draw results..... I'm out

Have you ever guided or been guided on a hunt? Not quite the petting zoo experience you describe. I will never understand the insatiable desire of hubters to criticize and alienate one another.

• Like 3

I'll agree with you about new country! WTF happened there?? Enough about red dirt roads, lifted trucks, and rapping about bein in "da club" with your "celly blowin up" and your "possy" or "crew" total thread de-rail there.

one of the things that excites me about possibly having this unit 1 tag is being in that part of the state during September for 2 weeks straight. I have fallen in love with the white mountains of arizona and the thought of chasing bugles for 2 weeks there has me excited like I can't explain. There was a thread on here from a few years ago by member "Coach" about his hunt in unit 1. I always pictured my first archery tag to go the way his did. ill try and find the link to his story so that the guy who started this post could also read and enjoy it the way I did. There is the likely possibility that I drew my second choice and don't even have this tag but until draw results come out I'm hanging on to the hope that I drew my first choice.

Here is the link to the hunt from member "coach". This was the best story I've read on this forum.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/forums/topic/27391-unit-1-archery-bull/

• Like 1

No offense, but guides are the ones who do all the work and get the credit, not the hunter. I've never understood the whole pay for a guide thing. It's always bugged the crap out of me. You might as well go to the zoo and pull the trigger on an animal. Most of the people you see in these magazines paid thousands of dollars to show up and pull a trigger. No skill, hard work, or time goes into it. But hey they get to go back home and brag about the massive elk they shot and post it all over hunting sites. Which is another thing I can't stand. Hunting is not like it use to be, now it's a Bragging competition. It's like country music these days, half rap, half crap with diamonds on there tight pants, singing about lifted tailgates and horses they've never saddled. What happened to go old country. People listen to rap while hunting from there lifted rangers. Yes, I am ranting. Just wanted to post some frustration. I'll never post again. But back to original point, If you put in for a hunt, take time to work hard at it with your family and friends and make it your hunt, not someone else's. Where is the glory in having someone show you exactly where an animal is and all you have to do is pull the trigger. Good luck on the draw results..... I'm out

i bet you suck at hunting in real life.

• Like 2

Let's see....7th line down on original post on page 3, 3rd-6th word. The way I see it here when I copied is 6th line 4th sentence. Please do what you promised.

Maybe he is upset because his guide won't accept food stamps as payment

• Like 2

When you say "I'm out" at the end, does that mean by chance you're gonna leave this website completely? Cuz that would be greaaat.

• Like 2

So this is what e scouting has become? The OP asked a simple question, members began to weigh in. Newb's show up, hijack the thread, slam the guiding profession and anyone who would even consider using an outfitter. Oh, and then tell us all how we should hunt in order to "man-up". Amazing! Trolls?

For the OP, you can't go wrong the the tag you drew. You'll have a great hunt. The unit is paved with elk, big ones too. I know a fair amount about unit 1 but will keep it to myself as I'd hate to deny any hunter the true joy of finding their own hunting spot.

• Like 1

Any update Kennyazman on which hunt you ended up drawing? I'm not hating on guides at all but it sounds like you are a resident of Az? If this is the case, you might want to consider taking the money that you would spend on a guided hunt and put it towards as many trips as you can make to learn the unit better and spend some time on Gods country. I find that when I know I have a tag in my pocket, I love the chance of spending most of my free time in the unit looking and learning. By getting up there a lot you will find the places that you will want to key in on during your hunt. It will also give you the chance to have back up plans if the elk are not in there this year or something else happens and you need to change it up. As you stated, you too have fallen in love with the white mts so why not be up there every chance you get? You will get to see so many new places and will probably see things that will make memories for a lifetime. For me, all of the scouting and practicing leading up to the hunt are priceless. The anticipation of finding that perfect place is so exciting. For me anymore, its the experiences even more than the kill are what drives me. I thrive on making my own decisions, if I screw something up its all on me. If the kill happens, that's also all me and I personally wouldn't have it any other way. It is such an incredibly rewarding experience. If you are not a resident, or you are unable to spend much time up there scouting, then looking at a guide might be a good option for you. Ifnyou did pull unit 1, you have drawn a really good tag and you might not have another one for many years to come so do whatever you think will give you the best chance for the experience you wish to get out of this hunt. Congrats on your success!

• Like 1

Any update Kennyazman on which hunt you ended up drawing? I'm not hating on guides at all but it sounds like you are a resident of Az? If this is the case, you might want to consider taking the money that you would spend on a guided hunt and put it towards as many trips as you can make to learn the unit better and spend some time on Gods country. I find that when I know I have a tag in my pocket, I love the chance of spending most of my free time in the unit looking and learning. By getting up there a lot you will find the places that you will want to key in on during your hunt. It will also give you the chance to have back up plans if the elk are not in there this year or something else happens and you need to change it up. As you stated, you too have fallen in love with the white mts so why not be up there every chance you get? You will get to see so many new places and will probably see things that will make memories for a lifetime. For me, all of the scouting and practicing leading up to the hunt are priceless. The anticipation of finding that perfect place is so exciting. For me anymore, its the experiences even more than the kill are what drives me. I thrive on making my own decisions, if I screw something up its all on me. If the kill happens, that's also all me and I personally wouldn't have it any other way. It is such an incredibly rewarding experience. If you are not a resident, or you are unable to spend much time up there scouting, then looking at a guide might be a good option for you. Ifnyou did pull unit 1, you have drawn a really good tag and you might not have another one for many years to come so do whatever you think will give you the best chance for the experience you wish to get out of this hunt. Congrats on your success!

I drew my second choice which was unit 21 rifle bull. I am a resident and never had any intentions of hiring a guide if I was to draw. Not for any reason other than I just want to be able to say I did it myself. I'm definitely a do it yourself kinda guy for sure. I really wish I woulve drawn this as my first choice but I'm still looking forward to the tag I did get.

Hi all, got my tag today....almost as if I'm actually going...still can't believe it. Thanks so much for the helpful advice. While a few more things to sort out I've got a pretty good idea of my plans for the hunt and can't wait til September.

My son & his cousin both got big Tom's this past "youth" weekend; always love helping someone get their first bird.

Will stay in touch and look forward to talking to a few more of you over the summer.

Good hunting,

• Like 2

Don't let some of these guys and their pissing contest run you off David! They mean well, just go off on some tangents once in a while. You've come to a great place to get info. Keep the questions coming!

Don't let some of these guys and their pissing contest run you off David! They mean well, just go off on some tangents once in a while. You've come to a great place to get info. Keep the questions coming!

Problem is that for whatever reason, elk bring out the worst in most, not all, hunters in az either in the field or on the net. Been doing it my whole life here in az and it has gotten worse every year! So much so that I quit guiding due to the bs. Davelk, if you need help pm me, i have family that live in montecello so i have no problem helping out a hoosier! Good luck on your hunt and enjoy every minute of it as it doesn't come around often!