Sign in to follow this  
NM_Shedder

Anybody

Ok, I never do this, like never ever, but this year my dad and I are having a hard time find where the elk are at in Southeastern New Mexico. High. low, somewhere in the middle? What? We've been out a lot, and only pulled a few, at least recently. We also know or have heard of many people having a real difficult time this year. Heck the natives who usually have 500 to 1000 ls right now are barely at 3 to 400 lbs. So any help of is the elk are shedding high, low, or what would really help.

No elk left down there. They were all killed last year. :o No I think they may be holding them longer or others have been there before. I usually don't start looking until turkey hunting as I am not a big shed hunter.

Every year it will be different, most people hunt elk in the fall. Hunting antlers is a year round commitment. It would be hard to help you with where they dropped. Here they drop over 3 months, so it's high, mid and low. Don't be anxious, just believe you will find some and keep walking. I've walked 30 miles just to pick up a set I've been glassing on a bull since the end of January. You do spend the time, you'll do fine. It's still early, lots of antlers still attached.

--Bill

• Like 1

I was at the Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque today. They buy antlers and I saw about 10 whites and only four rag horn browns. So people may be waiting or not finding much yet.

NM_Shedder I personally think the numbers of sheds found will be lower this year. Contrary to what the G and F think (based on their very flawed survey method), there are fewer elk in Unit 36 and 37 than in years past. Since the big burn the elk have been easier to spot and have been hammered during the fall hunts. Couple that with the private land hunts that run from September to March and there are fewer elk and much fewer mature bulls. Good luck.

I don't usually even start looking until turkey season. Most of the raghorns will still be packing until mid April and they make up the majority of what is left.

Talked to a guy today in unit #1 that saw a good herd of mature bulls yesterday and he said every bull still had his horns attached. This is later than I ever remember.

I'm with you. I've had a hard time this year. I've hiked 116 miles with only 6 brown elk and a handful of brown muley. I can't figure it out. What I can say is I've seen more human footprints than I've ever seen, quad tracks too in one of my honey holes! The elk aren't where they typically are. We shouldn't be frustrated with it but it's hard not to be.

I didn't even know there were elk in unit #1.?.? In the chuskas?

He meant unit 1 in az. I found some whites last week. We rode 20 plus miles and didn't see one elk. Tons of tracks though. I am still looking for my first brown

with prices the way they are this year everybody is out there scarfing them up or at least trying too.

I have hiked my butt off and still not one brown this year. I have hiked where there are bulls that freshly dropped and areas where they had been recently and still nothing. Only whites and 2-3 yr old sheds! Frustrating.

I just think there are too many people out shed hunting this year. Every road is covered in quad tracks and sign of people all over the forest.

I guess I'm not the only one getting their butts kicked this year. It's just tough, after the two good years I had leading up to this year, and the fact a guy who is from my area has over 800lbs of bone this year, and lots of browns as well. The elk are just, having weird patterns this year.

Same situation here in unit #27 of Arizona. Tire tracks of quads everywhere, lots of people looking and not a whole lot of reports of tremendous success. Guess that is to be expected on the feedback. I've also struggled finding only 5 browns this year (two matching sets)last week. Seems like the elk might be going back to shedding in the areas they formerly did prior to the Wallow Fire of 2011. Then again, there are a lot less bulls to shed horns compared to former years!