Sign in to follow this  
archeryasu

Best load for Turkey

I was just wondering what the best load for turkey is? Some people recommend 2 shot and others 4 shot for 12 gauge. I just wanted to see what everyone has had the best luck with and what type of choke you were using with a particular shot.

I am carying Remington 4x6 Duplex 3" load this season. It patterned best in my shotgun. I worked in NM two years ago.

Doug~RR

I shoot 1 1/4 ounces of #4 on 18.3 grams of Unique. It patterns extremely well in my gun and has put down several birds. Anything you decide to shoot should pattern well in your gun, if not it doesn't matter how much shot or what size you shoot.

Kevin

Remington at one time made a duplex load of 1 1/2 ounces of BB and 4's mixed. We killed at least ten birds with those loads out of a full choked 12 gauge some at over 60 yards. It rolled turkeys like lightning. I can't find those any more so I now shoot 4's. Personally I have never thought that turkeys are as tough as all the hype. The only turkey that I have witnessed get away was hammered with steel shot at thirty yards, twice! I have killed several with my Ithica double gun using the first barrel which is improved cylinder at thirty yards. With a full choke 12 gauge and number fours hold at the base of the neck and you'll roll every turkey out there at fifty yards.

Turkey loads, shmerkey loads <_<

Sorry for the harsh language :( But in my opinion all thoes so called special "Turkey Loads" stink! Oh sure,,, if you want to blow his head off at less than 30 yards then they will work fine, but so will dove shot! You don't have to pay big bucks for a box of five shells of so called "special load "<_< !

Like I said, if you are going to hold out for a head shot at 20, 25 or less yards then great! But what if he holds up at 40+? What if he comes in behind some brush and then spooks and all you get is a running away shot at over 40 yards? What if you are sneeking down a logging road and you come around a corner to find one looking at you at 60 yards? How many hunters are presented with a 50 to 60 yard shot each year? Especially out West. If that is the only shot people are presented with then they will take it! It happens all the time and I'v seen it doesens of times and heard of it hundreds of times! And always in the end it is the same old stories, "I missed him", " I knocked him down but then he ran off", "I got some fethers" "I hit him but he flew off" You get the pitcher.

Nine out of ten of thoes long shots seem to get away :( Except when "Thumper" goes off! :blink: :P My shotgun's name is Thumper ;) A name it rightfully earned when I was in the collage years! LOL! :lol:

Any way, to be serious.... You need to use eather BB, BBB or T shot in a 3" mag Steal waterfowl load. (Keep in mind every gun is different) I shoot mine with a regular "full choke" out of a Wenchester Pump #1300.

The "T" shot is my favorite!!! ;)

The steal bb's are light and allows for a full cup! Not these half cups you get with heavy lead loads. The big steal bb's fly fast and will punch right through to the other side of the bird breaking and passing through bones on the way. I have shot a few turkeys, 6 of them have been from 44 to 65 yards and this type of load has hammered them into the ground every time!!!!! My bro-inlaw calls it "shaking the rug". Because it picks them up,- whips them,- lots of dust, feathers, blood and bb's fly out the other side,- and then they lay flat on the ground. ;)

I have also taken over 50 coyotes with this type of shotgun load! I'm not braging, just ensuring my point with some good evidence. If they are 70 to 80 then I usualy have to shoot them twice and will just do that from the start.... BAM BAM! I have never taken a turkey from 70 to 80 and don't want to try because they are smaller than a coyote and will catch fewer bb's. But I have taken several coyotes at that range. When you hit a coyote at that range he will usualy spin around to see and bite at the wounds for a second, that gives me the chance for the quick follow up shot to seal the deal.

You can pattern it against the smaller shot and there will be fewer bb's in the target, thats a no brainer. But thats not all that counts!!!! If you shoot a load of duplex into a target at 40 yards and a 270 or an arrow into the same target then which ont will make the most holes? DUUH :huh: But what one are you going to hunt deer with? :huh: I know that is an extream example but it brings across the point that the amount of holes in the targes is not all that counts.

So in my opinion, try the "T" shot first. It works great for blowing there heads off at close ranges and it works great at the longer ranges as well! Why waste time and birds? Have your cake and eat it too!

Lance

Remington at one time made a duplex load of 1 1/2 ounces of BB and 4's mixed.

I actually came across a box of those stuffed in our closet. The black brass, and green cases. I shot most of them with out knowing, and only have four left. :( They are great! Now we just shoot 4's through an improved barrel and it seems to work fine.

I have used my 12 gauge remington 870 shooting 3inch number 2's out of a full choke for 9 of my 10 turkeys and it has worked well every time between 10 and 60 yards.

Lance, I have thought that the steel waterfowl shot in the sizes you mentioned would be good for turkeys, but I never actually tried it. I will have to give it a try when I run low on my current box of 2's.

Well, here's my$.02 worth. I really enjoyed reading Lance's reply. Sounds like he has had some expience and would be hard to disagree with that. I personally believe it's alot like archery hunting. Any shot will work as long as you know your comfort kill zone. If you use quail shot then you better be real real real close. The bigger the shot the farther away your diatance can increase. I personally don't have any one particular shot I refer. A full choke works well out to the longer ranges but for setting on decoys any choke will work. #2 & 4's are probably your norm. Good hunting and shoot straight!

Thank you all for your input. The only other question I have is what is T-shot and who makes it? I feel like an idiot but I have never head of it before.

No need to "feel like an idiot" around here. ;)

T sized shot is just a little smaller than #4 buck.

shot_sizes.jpg

......"T" is for Turkey! ;) ...... :rolleyes:

Lance

I have learned a lot from Marvin Robbins, one of the top turkey hunters in the country. Marvin says that #6 is the best for turkey. As far a turkey loads go, they do seem to pattern better on my shotgun. The best thing to do is to experiment with different brands and find what works best in your shotgun.

Mark

This friday I will be using a hundred grains of black powder and as many number 5's that fit in a 3.5 night shot cup. Hopefully there will be pictures of my first muzzle loader bird.

This friday I will be using a hundred grains of black powder and as many number 5's that fit in a 3.5 night shot cup. Hopefully there will be pictures of my first muzzle loader bird.

Good luck! B) What kind of ML will you be using? I want to use one of those on a dove hunt to screw around with.