Sign in to follow this  
Rackhunter

turkey loads

Been gearing up for turkey season and have tried a few loads through my 12ga 3 1/2in.tried my full choke and superfull choke and some different brands of shells and haven't found one I like.any suggestions.thanks

Winchester Long Beard XR in 3 1/2 5 or 6 with full turkey choke .... I know carlsons makes a specific long beard xr full turkey choke that I know a few using and they love them

Winchester Long Beard XR in 3 1/2 5 or 6 with full turkey choke .... I know carlsons makes a specific long beard xr full turkey choke that I know a few using and they love them

+1 on the Longbeard XR's. I switched to them in the 3" #5's last year and am very happy with the pattern.

Depends on the gun and choke too Rack I shoot a 12 ga 24in 870 REM and use the factory full choke and use the Winchester Double X 3" 1300 velocity (i believe the Winchester XR's are only 1200 velocity) 1-3/4oz 6 shot have yet to miss a bird with this combination. I will not shoot 3-1/2 on shells no need IMHO and I will not shoot past 40 yards if I'm not good enough to call the bird into that range or better the bird wins.

I also use an Ithaca Model 37 22 in barrel 12 ga with factory choke and the same shells as above. Last week I shot this gun and it did exceptional from 20 yards out to forty yards in 5 yard increments where I put 18 pellets in the head/neck area of the target at 40 yards.

The main thing is to pattern the gun for the load you are using. I might be able to help you save some $$$ on shells if you let me know what gun and choke you will be using.

Good luck.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys,sounds like I need to give the winchester a shot.I've tried the remington nitro turkey 4 and 5,and also the federal premium number 4.I tried my Carlson coyote superfull and the primos turkey full.trkhntr I have a remington 870 express 28" barrel.my 870 3in that is beat to heck out shots this new gun with anything I shot threw it

TRKHNTR, Why the shorter barrels?

Good question and one that does not get asked very often. Some say it is/was a fad. I'm not so sure it was a fad. The main thing for me is lighter weight and it is easier to swing the shorter barrels. As far as ballistics goes I don't believe there is an advantage to shotgun barrels longer than 22". I believe the tighter turkey chokes they have on the market now is more important than barrel length, but I have yet (knock on wood) to miss a bird with the setup I have now so I'm staying with what I have. Main thing is to pattern your gun I like to start at 20 yards and move the target out to 40 yards in 5 yard increments. If you are using the turkey head targets the experts say you should have any where from 12 to 40 pellets in the head and neck area. Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Food for thought....some guys think that one pellet will kill a turkey. That is 100% true, if you hit it in the skull from a side profile.

I've skinned an inordinate amount of birds and evaluated the performance of shot on the vertebrae. If you want something to blow your mind, take a look at the size of the neck vertebrae and what your shot looks like when it hits it. A lot of shot..(Copper plated lead for example) simply flatten out, without breaking the bone! More than one bird shot at long range has staggered, ran, or half-heartedly flown after pushing the envelope of launching shots out past 50 yards.

Yes, the new heavy shot has helped, A lot...but really what fun is it shooting turkeys at 50 60 70 yards?

When you see them blink...chootem', they're close enough:) And, that is fun:)

Callem close...Most any shotgun works. Simply advertising selling all the camo guns, and fancy ammo.

Just stirrin' the pot...a little.

• Like 1

In the last 20 years there have been a lot of study's done and what they have shown is that you are getting maximum velocity out of your turkey shot at around 20 inches of barrel. In fact if you are looking for a shotgun that is made and sold specifically for turkey you will find that the Remington Browning Mossburg Winchester and others are all making their turkey editions mostly in 24" and a few in 22" barrels. I shot and carried a heavy 28" barrel for years but changed to a newer 24" turkey edition 7 or 8 years ago. My pattern results actually improved and I enjoy carrying and swinging the lighter gun much better. Also if you are struggling to get a good pattern I would defiantly shoot #5 or #6 shot to get more shot on target. If it is mass you are concerned with at the farther ranges then use one of the heavier tungsten blends.

I tried the Extra Full carlson chock and hornady #5, Winchester #4, and Heavy Shot Magnum which is a mix of 5,6,7. Out of all three I can keep a 10" circle at 35 yards with only one and thats the Heavy Shot.

I have now bought 2 chokes and 5 different loads to experiment with all. Heavy shot will be my go to round but word to the wise it kicks like a freakin mule. LOL

post-2094-0-47999500-1428683158.jpg

I just bought a brand new Mossberg 500 Turkey gun with 24" barrel and 3" chamber. I will be patterning it this weekend. I will try the longbeard shells.

In prior years, I just taped up my old 870 wingmaster, 2 3/4" chamber, Modified choke. I had some old #2 steel shot shells from several years ago. I got real lucky to take two birds with this setup...one at 40 yards and one at 30 yards. The one at 40 yards only took a few pellets to the head and neck. I decided this year to have a dedicated turkey gun with much better performance. I hope I don't have buyer's remorse :unsure:

i always use buckshot. 0, 00, #4, whatever. does the job. don't tear things up. they never run off. as far as barrel length, back in the early 80's they did some extensive testing on shotguns that blew the old long barrel=long range myth outta the water. in a 12 gauge with the 2 3/4 and 3 inch stuff that available then, 21 inch was optimum for velocity and range. my old model 1100 special field came with a 21 1/2" full choke. Lark.

Just hide against a tree, Use a sling shot, pickup the closest 1/4 " pebble You can find and You are good to go. Range is up to how good You are .............BOB!

Just hide against a tree, Use a sling shot, pickup the closest 1/4 " pebble You can find and You are good to go. Range is up to how good You are .............BOB!

Now that would be quite a challenge! I was pretty good with one as a kid. Might have to pick it up again.